may 12th!!!!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi all,i have my date at last after having surgery cancelled in feb due to infection.im so excited but also scared!i have read all your stories avidly everyday and have got so much info from them.this forum is invaluable!theres a couple of silly questions i would like to ask cos i think i have answers to most others just by reading this forum!one is can you wear soft slipper sock type slippers in hosp or do you have to wear the hard bottomed ones with backs?and the other question is when you are well enough to venture out how can you tell if a chair as in a coffee shop or something is going to be the right height!ill be frightened to sit down in case it isnt!?i will keep you all updated once i get out of hosp.will prob be a blow by blow account as ill be boredsmileim hoping to get the spinal with a large chunk of happy milk so i know nothing about the op!!thats the thing im scared about.other than that bring it on!!love to you all and i hope you are all doing great.xx

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sandra,

Slippers with backs are safer.

Coffee shop chairs - well, when you are ready to use one, do it very carefully, hang on to something solid, and put your operated leg well out in front and avoid bending - it can be done, but you have to be really careful.  

When sitting down, make sure you can stretch your leg out well.

Getting up, use crutches or walking sticks, and anything solid to hand again.

I had spinal, with no sedation, couldn't feel a thing, and all ready for a cup of tea as soon as I was out of the operating theatre. 

I got bored too, so make a website of all the things I could think of, and loads of other ideas from people on this forum.  The address can be found here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and in the moderators thread at 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

You might like those  slipper-socks, they should be nice and comfy, and safe.
    • Posted

thankyou so much rocketman.didnt know about stretching my leg out to sit down!!i just want to get it over and done with now.xxxx
    • Posted

Yes, it's like the opposite of the 'golfer's dip' when picking up objects, so when sitting just stretch the operated leg out in front of you, but ensure that you observe 'the 90 degree rule' at all times.  You end up almost squatting on the good leg.

All this is impossible if you have had two hips replaced though cry.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Agree with the others, full slippers are deemed safer, do not try to walk about without them either, they don't like people going barefeet.

It will be here and over in no time, you'll be fine.

• Posted

thankyou lynn.i will be posting on here as soon as i get home!!xx
  • Posted

I see you are getting closer to the date! If it's any consolation, I was very frightened to go in for my thr! I am one week post op. I was even in tears when they admitted me. I can look back and laugh about this now but it was no joke at the time! I feel for you and understand. Just make sure that you are fully aware of what you will need insofar as help once you get home. Make certain that those caring for you are able to do all that they will need for you. I found that I did need a lot of help during the first week home. Now things are easier for me but I wish I had been better prepared. Things like having pets to contend with and running around my walker were never even taken into consideration and did become an issue when I got home. ( Just using that as an example). Also, placing everyday objects at waist height is also important. Can't say enough about a raised commode, etc. make sure you have "reachers" to grab things with, etc. I'm sure you'll do fine and remember everyone is different. The first week out will be the roughest but I'm certain they'll improve every passing week. Best wishes for a great recovery!
    • Posted

thankyou cindy. I have 2 mad dogs and I know it's going to be very tricky when I get home!!plus 3 grandchildren under the age of 3!!so it's gonna be interesting to say the least!would you mind my asking if you were awake for your op?I hope your recovery is nice n easyxx
  • Posted

Hello Sandra. I have just joined this group because I am due for a hip replacement on 12th May.. Was delighted to find your entry on the forum - your'e having yours on the same day as me !

christine. 

• Posted

Wow!!that's so cool.we can really help each other with our recovery!!where are you having yours done?are you in England?I'm having mine done in orpington hospital.will message you on here Wednesday to wish you good luck.unless your on here before. (I read this forum everyday)xxx
    • Posted

Yes. Having it done in Birmingham. Looking forward to supporting each other through this. Had equipment delivered today- raised toilet seat etc so now it all feels very real !
    • Posted

I had a call from the hospital asking what I needed and was told either myself or someone would have to pick it up!thing is no one has come to check!I have 2 loos and neither one has the space required either side so the seats prob aren't going to fit!!and I do not have any chairs with arms!😕so not sure what's gonna happen !but to be honest I will be so happy to get the op over I don't care!xx
  • Posted

Yes hi Sandra! To answer your question, I was given a spinal block with Propofol for "twilight" sleep/sedation during surgery. I don't remember anything! The last thing I remember was bending over for the spinal and asking the nurse to make sure I didn't fall off the operating table!  Hope that helps.
    • Posted

That's very calming for me thankyou cindy.will keep that in my head while I am waiting😊xx
    • Posted

Sandra,

The anethetist is very used to people not wanting to be awake during the operation,it's people like me who choose to be awake that startle them.

I think the anaesthetic team are the most friendly people in the operating theatre, the assistant was very chatty which I found most reassuring, and the anethetist and I had a good chat during the operation.

Graham - 🚀💃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.