May 2017 Broken Ankle , painful metalwork

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

Broke my ankle in May 2017.

recovery is going well.

Had metal plate and screws put in.

No problems with mobility, exercises walking etc but since this cold spell have a lot of pain where the metalwork is, does anyone have any tips?

Many

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a fusion a year ago. one screw already had to be removed. i had severe pain and can feel another screw protruding. going back next week, will probably have to have it removed. hope so anyway as I can see the flat head of screw! my advice is get it checked. if it hurts more than before pain could be a sign of something going on possibly .

• Posted

i broke my ankle in 3 places MAY 2018. had two screws removed in october 2018 reduced the pain immediately

just got back to the gym and walking , did a spinning class last week and the pain after was high, pain killers and bed rest required, the cold has bot been good for the pain either - gonna give it some time try the spinning class again and see where i am. the pain is isolated to the area where the remaining screws plate are fixed.

• Posted

Hi Britta,

My case is very much like yours but my fracture was in March. And yes, cold and weather makes my ankle ache a lot. Since August 2018 I have travelled a lot, mostly to countries warmer than UK and there I experienced far less pain and discomfort. My consultant did confirm that cold and damp weather has a negative influence as metal reacts. So I guess we just have to endure the discomfort and pain. But perhaps someone on this forum has some magic advice?

• Posted

Cold is TERRIBLE for my JUNE 2018 bilateral broken ankles. I found the low pressure systems that come with the cold air cause pain as well. My remedy is soaking ankles in epsom salt and hot water.

• Posted

HI- I broke my ankle about 3 years ago and worried a lot about the metal inside me (13 screws). Others ahead of me in their healing here, (and my doctor), urged me to be patient, and reminded me that there are risks to all surgeries. It took 2 years to be 100% and I never have any problems anymore at all. The last 2% of healing occurred in the last 6 months by the way.

• Posted

HI I BROKE MY ANKLE APRIL 2017. A drunk driver hit me. I had a plate and 6 screws put in but only have 1 screw left in. He cant remove it in fear of permanent nerve damage. My ankle still gets very stiff and i know I'm still healing. it was nice to see it took you some time as well.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Diane! Sometimes we just get unlucky- in fact we all did on this site in different ways and degrees. I thought I was just lucky to walk again (without a wheel chair, knee scooter, boot or walker). It was a bit of a long road to stumble down, and I thought at times the stiffness would be there forever, but the 18 mo point was huge and then the two year point was miraculous. Best to you! Keep the faith! Our bodies are amazing healers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.