may a GP alter a prescription prescribed in hospital?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking 5 mg amlodipine for high blood pressure since circa 2012. My systolic blood pressure was around 140 Hgmm. In 2013 in hospital a doctor prescribed me 40 mg furosemide. It resulted my blood pressure dropping to 120-130 Hgmm. In 2016 a GP took me off furosemide and increased amlodipine to 10 mg. 2 other GPs at the same medical centre agreed to not taking furosemide, in spite of the fact that on 08.08.2018 my systolic blood pressure was 159 Hgmm at the first reading and 149 Hgmm at the second reading.

I have difficulties passing water, and I think, my high blood pressure is caused by water retention. This explains why furosemide had worked and amlopidine does not work. I need advice what to do. I want to avoid confrontation with my GPs but on the other hand, I do not want to have a stroke because I am too polite. I need advice what to do.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

A simple question - have you gained weight since stopping the furosemide? Do you have oedema in your feet and ankles? Both would indicate whether you are retaining fluid.

But basically - why change something with which you were obviously doing well? I hate it when doctors mess about with something that was working fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.