May I introduce myself please?

Posted , 6 users are following.

54 years old, a keen keep fit bod who would run over ten to fifteen miles a week and think nothing of it. Raised money for Charity by running races and loved it.

Six weeks ago, I ran a 10k race in under one hour Ten minutes and within days I was hospitalised with weird sudden swelling in my hands, then neck, shoulder and hip and all came on literally within hours. I was in pain I can barely describe.

Two weeks later Anti CCP tests revealed Rheumatoid Arthritis. Floored was not the word…

Steroid intra muscular injection and spat out into the world again. I was told in hospital that this is aggressive and they intend to fight it aggressively too. At diagnosis, I was told about Methotrexate. I see a Rheumy nurse next month, so I guess I shall begin then.

Will I ever run again? Am I dreaming? Should I attempt to be/stay active even?

I am a very positive person and will maintain a positive manner whatever happens. But…. Well, here we all are!  

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Diagnosed with RA in March 2015, on Methotrexate and steroids since then. I am on track to run 150 miles this month on my treadmill and buring up to 20,000 calories. So if you follow your regimen prescribed by your doctor, this could be you too. The bad thing is this disease affects everyone differently.

• Posted

I sympathize with your situation. I am a dog walker and due to the progression of my RA I have had to have some surgery on my knee. I would walk 7 to 8 miles 5 days a week and had to cut back on my hours and how much I walk. I can say my mental state was much better with my activity level was up. My doctor wants me to keep active as it helps all aspects of RA, for now I will have to slow my activity level for awhile. I hope I can get back to my 7 to 8 miles a day but it will take awhile. I am hopeful.

Keep up your good attitude and activity ad much as you can. We can't give up!!

Best of luck to you

Lorraine

• Posted

Hi carol do you mind me asking what your ccp result was? Also did your blood show crp markers? Hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hi Carol my story is similar to yours although it didn't start quite as abruptly. I start the same medication next week. I don't know about you but I feel as though I'm going into a room blindfold. Ive had my apointment with the nurse. I felt it was not the best. No reassurances or even explaining. I'm guessing they don't like to commit if everyone's different. I'm glad your positive. I admire you. I'm swinging between positive and worry. I think positive is the way to go. Good luck and keep us posted

• Posted

Hi Carol

I feel for you, having been through similar. I did a great deal of research, and while I am on MXT, I am in week 6 of following a well-researched RA diet regime, developed by someone in a similar situation as yours and many of us, and have now got my ESR and CCP back down to 'normal' as confirmed by my rheumatologist during my follow-up consultation last week. He just wants to see the little remaining inflammation in my right hand go down, then will consider me to be 'in remission' - that's as far as he'll stick his neck out. My intention is to gradually reduce and get off MXT, and it is absolutely possible. It does require total discipline, and is worth it.

I'll put more info below, and see if it gets vetoed, once again, by overzealous moderators, who don't seem to want us to share valuable information. Here goes:

You absolutely must keep exercising, but avoid running for now; it'll cause more harm than good. Bikram yoga, and any other form of yoga, Pilates, etc., that does not entail subjecting joints to weight-bearing exercises.

All the very best to you

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi gill is there any chance you could tell me more about the diet for RA you are on o see the moderator has edited or erased some of your message! What foods are good -bad?
    • Posted

Hi Emily

Loving the moderators! Can't send links to really helpful RA sites that have helped thousands of people reverse their RA. Thank goodness for PM. I've messaged you with more information.

All the best

• Posted

Thank you very much for the info kind regards take care x
    • Posted

You're most welcome. Hope it helps you. All the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.