Maybe something new for nerve pain?? Ted's Pain Cream, has anyone heard of it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I get daily updates from KHN, Kaiser Health Network, with news about anything health related. Today I found an article from NPR about a researcher, "Dr. Ted Price leads an academic neuroscience research team at the University of Texas at Dallas. Their work led to a breakthrough in the field of pain research. And that breakthrough led directly to Ted’s™ Pain Cream" He found that the chemical resveratrol, found in red wine and other items, can help quiet the nerves that are over-activated from previous damage or injury.

He couldn't get the funding for a Clinical Trial, so he decided to market the stuff himself. His website has the science behind it and experts see no harm in trying it.  The website is very interesting (particularly for people who geek out about science and medical stuff like me) and helps explain why we have PHN.

I use Gab, Aspercreme 4% Lidocaine, (which works pretty well for me), Tyelenol and a prescription anti-inflammatory I've been on for 30 years for my PHN. But as someone who's very leery of claims like this (I've worked in healthcare for over 30 years as a medical secretary) I'm highly skeptical and avoid new drugs and treatments until I'm convinced they can benefit me. However, this has me intrigued.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I noticed that you use Gab.  Is this better than Lyrica?  Lyrica is so expensive that I would like to get off of it.

Keep me posted on Ted's Pain Cream.

Thanks.

Roberta

• Posted

Gab and Lyrica have similarities in that they act on nerve pain, but they have different side effects, plus a lot of the same ones. Some people have better luck with one over the other. We thought of switching me, but you've got to taper from one to go to the other. Talk to your doctor, and your pharmacist for more information. I'll let you know about Ted's.

• Posted

What do you think Babs, worth $19 to try?
    • Posted

I am thinking of buying it. A friend bought it from is direct website, which is fascinating BTW. I'd probably use Prime. I don't know if you're aware, but on top of the PHN in my rib/back area, I fell 4 weeks ago and cracked a rib or two so it's been LOADS of fun.

Yesterday I finally had a ballroom dance lesson (I compete) and the PHN really acted up. I said, that's it, I'm going to buy some of that stuff. It's not cheap, compared to Aspercreme, but the science does seem solid. My PHN is definitely decreasing, or all the pain nerves are having a party in my ribs instead, so I wasn't go to try it, but now that I know it's still hanging around. I think I'll do it.

I'm still on 1500 mg of Gab/day but I've actually had a few almost pain-free days so I was getting a bit over-confident and did too much. You all know that routine, then you get a kick in the pants that says, not so fast.

• Posted

Bad news. As they were featured on both NPR and Kaiser Health News, they've had an overwhelming response and are currently sold out. I should have ordered last week, when a friend did. It will take 12 weeks for the next order, but I plan on buying it.

• Posted

You can pre-order through Amazon Pay, which I just did. Maybe I'll ask my friend if I can try a bit biggrin, it may not work for her type of pain.

• Posted

Amazon doesn’t have it and the web site says they are all out for 12 weeks.   Too bad. I am sorry to hear you would give up on the dance but  I totally understand.  I know exactly how it feels to have these setbacks.  I finally had to have that surgery to have a skin cancer removed and my leg became seriously infected.  It is super painful.  Actually am on OxyContin again.  This added stress of course has flared up the PHN something awful.    I am also on the second round of antibiotics.  Hate taking all those pills.  I wanted to start reducing the gab but doc said wait to get the leg better.  Since PHN 16 months ago it seems everything has gone downhill.  Another pity party,😒

• Posted

Oh, we were typing at the same time! Oh no Ruth! It's NOT a pity party, it's a normal, rational response to a difficult situation, but remember Charlie's advice. It's hard now but it will be better as it heals. You may even have a better stretch today or tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

• Posted

Let me know if you get a hold of some how it works!
    • Posted

I've got an update on my Ted's Pain Cream. I've been using it 3 times a day for the last 5 days and I believe it's helping. My friend didn't like it (but her pain is NOT from nerve pain) so she gave it to me. I've waited to report anything, but here it is.

I'm very cautious in saying this, as PHN can increase and decrease for all kinds of reasons. However, certain movements that would consistently cause greater pain, like bending to tie my shoes or reaching for something on a shelf are much more muted. I haven't had that super sharp lancinating pain either. They don't specifically suggest it for PHN, but from what I've read, it's logical it could help. I stopped my Aspercreme 4% Lidocaine and use this instead. I'm still on my prescription NSAID, Extra-strength Tylenol 3X a day and my 1500 mg of Gab (500 3X a day).  They feel that it could take a week to see any improvement so of course I'm hopeful that I'll see continued relief, but I'm not looking for a cure.

They also told me that back-log time has been greatly shortened to about 6 weeks. So, it's up to you. The mint smell is quite strong, like Ben Gay, but I don't mind it. There's also some burning feeling, again as in Ben Gay, but it's tolerable and lasts about 5-15 minutes. I hope it's truly the cream that's helping. I believe I've had a few activities that are pushing me more than I would normally do such as giving my dog a bath in the bathtub and some major yard work.  I'll keep using it and crossing my fingers.

• Posted

Hi Babs,

Good to hear.  Hope you will keep reporting.  I think I will give it a try.  I so very tired of this pain.  Tell me,  do you feel better with loose clothing or something that doesn’t move against the skin or nothing on at all.  Today, I had a lot of pain wearing nothing on top so later I put on a pain patch, ( it was that bad). Of course with the lidocaine patch now I am fully clothed and doing alittle better.  Sometimes I think without clothing, just the air movement moving around seems to irritate..  thoughts anyone?

• Posted

I'm very lucky that clothing is not much of a trigger. Merry would mention what you're describing, it's called allodynia. I used to have problems with wool, but as I got older, it was less frequent. However, there are times now that I just have to take a clothing item off as it's uncomfortable. But mine's probably a .5 on a 1-10 scale, as maybe you're a 9.5. That's got to be so hard.

I'm trying to not obsess (yeah, right) about how much this is helping, but honestly, if I feel a twinge, I'm unhappy, then I say, hold it, that "twinge" was REALLY uncomfortable just a few weeks ago. So, again, not a miracle, but it does seem to hasten recovery or decrease the misery for me.

BTW, as I was searching for "allodynia" I came across a really cool website. It's called Pain Science . com.  I know we can't post links here, so obviously, you can figure out what I mean. There's an article called Pain is Weird: A volatile, misleading sensation that is often more than just a symptom, and sometimes worse than whatever started it.  It reminds me of some of the things we discussed on Charlie's CBT thread. There's a section where he shows a diagram of the body with nerves and the brain, then you can click on "SHOW" and see a more complex diagram and it actually mentions allodynia!  It's really interesting and kind of fun.

• Posted

I hate to report this, but I don't think it's working. The first few days I felt better, but then starting two days ago, the pain was worse and this morning I said forget it. Two hours after using it, I put on my 4% Lidocaine Aspercreme. I'm very disappointed. I tried to not get my hopes up, but this was my 8th day, and only the first few felt better.  Who knows why? Placebo? Less activity? I may try using both and see if it's better, but as of now, I wouldn't recommend it for PHN.cry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.