MD and betahistine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed for MD last 8 months . Used to get vertigo once in 3 months . Was in treatment with steroids when episode comes.Tinnitus becomes continues for left ear and was consulting ENT regularly . Got a steroid injection and still no improvement and got episodes 4 times in a month. When I don’t have a sleep I get episode same week .started betahistine 16 mgx3 and dietetic same time . Symptoms slightly improved but Tinnitus still continues and heaviness on head , no improvement for hearing .Luckily only once I had a balance issue within last two weeks and took meclizine.

I have heaviness on head and headache in the morning also slight swelling around my eye lids . Is it common for MD? Can I do little physical exercises? I avoided this for the last 4 months fearing balance . 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Exercise is the best for me......except when I have vertigo ha.  Swam a mile last week with full ears and it makes me stop thinking about the condition.  I think getting oxygen to body cells is important.  Another thing.  Just when I seem to figure out what is helping the MD something changes.  Trying to just accept the whole thing and not worry.  

It is such a dilemma!!!!

• Posted

Thank you . I will start again my regular exercise on my treadmill .
  • Posted

Hi John. Thanks for sharing your MM experience. I’m really sorry to hear about your struggles, but take hope that many of us on this forum are battling this condition with success. One point about tinnitus. There’s a theory that tinnitus results from the inner ear cells dying. Once this happens, the brain tries to compensate and creates an open loop response that is familiar with the ringing in the ears. One thing that has worked for me is sound therapy. Basically, you inject white noise into the ear and try retraining the brain to tune out the tinnitus. I use a hearing aid with this function. It takes time, but it’s worked for me until I have an episode and then the tinnitus grows in amplitude. Hence, I try to avoid the triggers. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi David 

I was worried whether I can get back to my original stable life!!

It irritates and of course I am getting a little relief after one month of Diuretic and betahistine.but I feel too slow.

Morning head ache and heaviness and slight swelling on face is that common ?when I told this to my Physicisian , he did not take it as special .

MD was totally unknown to me till I heard from my doctor !!!

Thanks for your message 

• Posted

high john,

have you any allergies ..

i was prescribed citrizine betahistine and bendroflumethiazide..

for M.D...i asked my doctor about citrizine thinking it was for

allergies which i dont have ..he said its good for the inner ear as

it improves the blood flow...theres no cure for m.d. and the doctors

dont no the exact cause of the fluid build up the meds they give

us are to slow the process of the fluid build up and improve the

circulation of the the inner ear plus help to relieve nausea ..

all we can do is try to come to terms with m.d. and think twice about

our activities ..menieres will slow you down just walking about can

mean brain overload i.e.to much information and bring on vertigo..

best wishes stev.. 

• Posted

What time of day do you take the diuretic?  When I took mine at night, before bed, I woke up with a headache and heavy head.  When I switched to taking it at 9:30 a.m., I stopped having the headache.  I surmised that the headache came from being dehydrated.  Since I drink water and tea in the morning before I take the diuretic I figured that helps.  Taking a diuretic can really dehydrate a person, so drinking liquids regularly can help a lot.  MD symptoms often make it hard to know what is caused by MD and what is caused by medication. sad
    • Posted

Hi Lana. I take mine in the morning after I have 20oz of water and a banana. Have you tried avoiding caffeinated teas. Caffeine is one of my triggers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.