Me again!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi boyz'n'gurlz,

My wee sister has now been diagnosed(?) with haemochromatosis. I had a phone call with her earlier and she said she was "homozygous" and a carrier. To the best of my knowledge this isn't possible as a carrier is  always heterozygous. Is this correct?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A carrier means you only have one copy of the gene. Homozygous and heterozygous mean you have two copies.  Homo means you have the same gene ie you have two C282Y and Hetero means you have two genes but they are different, ie one C282Y and one H63D. HTH
    • Posted

I was under the impression heterozygous would mean she was Hh(carrier) while homozygous would mean she was either HH(clear) or hh(affected)
  • Posted

Homozygous means she has two copies of the same HFE mutation.  Heterozygous means you have only one HFE gene.  Compound heterozygous means you have one type of HFE gene and one different type of HFE gene, e.g. C282Y/H63D.

Of course, whether you are homozygous or heterozygous, you are a 'carrier', because either way, homozygous means you will definitely pass on the gene to offspring, and heterozygous means there is a 50/50 chance of passing on the gene to offspring.

As your sister has inherited these genes from both her mother and father, then I hope, you have been tested.

HH, Hh, hh - all means the same thing - hereditary haemochromatosis - not varying degrees of haemochromatosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.