Me again...with an update

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had KUB xray today and found out the stone had been successfully shattered in my Lithotripsy 10 days ago. I've passed tiny fragments and a powdery substance and Dr. expects I may pass more of that same stuff. Thankfully, I've had no pain whatsoever and have "strained" very little, so was surprised to hear the news. I did find out that it had a calcium oxalate core with a uric acid coating, which is why it didn't show up on the first xray. (Apparently uric acid only shows up on certain imaging) My intense fear has subsided and New Years dietary resolutions have begun.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Great idea. Stones are a pain, not to mention the blasting away at the kidney to help break them away, A bit painful too.

liquid and solid foods can help as well as medication. I basically stayed away from red meats some fruits and alcohol and no sugar substitutes and pop. Diet first hope it helps. 

Any clues on what your eating in the up coming new year? 😉

• Posted

I quit soda, shellfish, gravy, greens etc. in 2005 following my first stone and quit eating red meat in 2013 following my 2nd stone. I really think the only rules I'm breaking are that I eat lots of chocolate and drink very little water. All suggestions are welcome!

• Posted

I get it . Sometimes it can be a family thing. Anyone else have stones in your family. My dad and uncle both suffered from stones.

I also limit eating Beets, chocolate, spinach, rhubarb, tea, and most nuts are rich in oxalate, and colas are rich in phosphate, both of which can contribute to kidney stones.  I eat some just not over do! 

• Posted

Very good to hear! I didn't know a stone could have a calcium oxalate core with uric acid coating.  Is that common? Water is the #1 thing. And it's hard! I haven't drank enough today. Planning on slugging a few bottles before bed. The chocolate is hard to cut back on. So are the dark greens. My only suggestion is to drink a glass of water with lemon in it each day. But, confirm with your doctor if that's a good idea for you. I have a friend that suffers from uric acid stones. He swears by a home remedy whereby he drinks baking soda dissolved in water. It dissolves uric acid stones and helps prevent them too. Again, ask your doctor about it before trying. Some websites claim it also helps dissolve or prevent calcium oxalate stones, but my friend disagrees. It's also worth noting that baking soda can harm you if you overdo it, so be careful if you try it. Research it yourself and ask your doctor. Glad you are feeling better!

• Posted

Scareddcat - that is FANTASTIC  NEWS. I'm really glad it turned out so well for you. 

• Posted

My excitement was short lived. The final report just came back and the calcium oxalate stone was covered with a struvite stone, NOT uric acid. I'm really discouraged because I've heard that they indicate infection. To my knowledge, I've never had an infection, so now I'm worried that there's something is brewing and no one has discovered it yet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.