ME and Menopause!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Yes what next!  But can anyone help with giving tips coping with the hot flushes.  I don't want HRT?  Repeatedly awakened during night with them and my sleep is not great any way...?

Any supplements help for example?

Anyone tried "Sage"? Or "Soya Isoflavones". These are both suggested in Natures Best with some good reviews but it's just more supplements and more money.

Should I tell my GP about it?  Maybe a daft question but are you meant to?  I hate going to see my GP...

Any help appreciated,  thanks

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The problem is you cannot suggest any product here, but I would suggest you reseach on line for menopausal relief alternative.
  • Posted

Hi Hazej,

In regards supplements and more money, sage and soya isoflavones are food based and I guess you could research good sources of them. Also, Burgen make a bread that's supposed to be helpful, its a mixture of seeds and the name escapes me at present!

With the night hot flushes, hard to tell because many people get this with cfs/me?

My friend recently started on a low dose hrt (I wasn't even aware there were different types) she also has cfs/me and is post menopause but, was advised by someone it may help with some of the cfs/me symptoms? Still taking it and I'm not sure how helpful they feel it is but, again you could maybe do a search on it or ask gp.

Hope that helps

Beverley

• Posted

I use Wild Yam tincture and it works really well!

There was a supplement for menopause that people were raving about but it was expensive so I found out the ingredients and the main one was Wild Yam. I highly recommend it. My hot flushes are almost non existent when I'm taking it, and I think it balances my moods out too.

It's excellent! razz

• Posted

I should add that it's a herb because it sounds more like a food!
  • Posted

Hi Haziej, I take A Vogel dried sage leaf capsules and I find them amazing. I've spent 2 years with the most severe hot flushes and night sweats that my face and hair were dripping wet even through the winter. These have made such a difference to my life and I can thoroughly recommend then. Good luck 😊
    • Posted

Hi I have just looked up information in wild Yam as was interested in it too. Lucky I did as it says it can be dangerous if you are at increased risk of breast, ovarian or uterine cancer. It's acts like estrogen and I carry the brca1 gene so cannot take HRT. Very important to research products before taking them x
    • Posted

WOW thank you for that.

I am only able to do minimal research as my concentration and memory are so poor so much appreciated.

When considering going onto HRT does the GP run those tests or is it only if you have a family history that suggests it?

• Posted

Hi Haziej, no, you would only be referred to a geneticist who would then decide whether there is enough family history there to run the tests. Sadly there was in my family. I have retread about sage leaf again and all seams fine plus it helps with mood and is also an anti-inflammatory. I am due to have a double Masectomy next month but I am praying now that my 28 year old daughter and 26 yr old son don't carry this nasty gene xx
    • Posted

Oh that seriously sucks.

So sorry you've to have such a drastic op - pray it goes well and especially your adjustment afterwards.  And you have ME?!  Have a hug!

• Posted

Yes I have ME and fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, degenerative disc diseas, underactive thyroid etc. But I manage as best I can and enjoy 'the good days'. Try the A Vogel dried safe leaf it's been a blessing to me. Let me know if it helps you xx
    • Posted

Glad you get some "good" days with all that going on.

Am very much house bound and rarely get out.  If once a week am doing very well...

I have ordered Natures Best version of it as I think it will be cheaper in the long run for me.  My only income is government benefit - I am so grateful for it though.  I will see how it goes...I may end up with the one you take.  It is hard to judge quality in supplements without going on the price which can be inflated anyway!

Hope you are having a good day today x

• Posted

My 'good days' mean I can get out the house once or twice weekly with help plus my 2 walking sticks. The past 2 days I have t moved from my bed - soooo lethargic and all my joints and muscles hurt.bi too am on pip and esa as I can't work anymore. My memory is really bad and I have bad concentration.......,and on and on.....
  • Posted

Being a male I cannot comment on HRT. I find hot flushes are restricted to night. I was not getting them all the time. So what was the difference, the best I can say is it depends on my attitude when I go to bed. If I am relaxed I don,t get any. I know its difficult to relax at any time with this illness. I found I was trying not to go to bed too early. This increased the tension, so now I go when I am ready. Still difficult as I question myself what I am doing in bed as early this. Try it, controlling . your fealings are deffinately part of the solution. If only it was as easy as this, as long as I try to be positive. I am not always successful.    Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.