ME and the menopause

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 51 and have had ME for 6 1/2 years.  Although I have learnt to manage ME well, I now find that, combined with the menopause, it is becoming increasingly harder to control.  Luckily I don't have all the usual menopause symptoms such as night sweats or hot flushes, but I feel the fatigue is now worse than ever.  Has anyone else found that their ME symptoms are exacerbated by the menopause?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hope. How interesting to read your post! I am 58 and when my menopause started 50 years ago, all my CFS Symptoms started too. The last couple of years have been the worst as far as fatigue levels go. I get so exhausted if I do too much and can't work, which I find so frustrating. I am also now suffering with light headedness on top of the fatigue and some days are so hard to manage. I think that the menopause has affected us because of the lack of oestrogen. Do you take any medication or supplements to help you? Mary
  • Posted

Absolutely yes! I've had ME for around 10 years, I'm 50 now and my menopause is just about over, Because I've taken Wild Yam through it.

But yes I founds that my emotions were even more all over the place with Menopause, and virtually all of my symptoms were worse. That's why I researched what will help.

You say you're not bothered by hot flushes, I was a lot and that tells me I'm over it because I rarely get them now. I feel more balanced and myself more now. It does end!

Wild Yam is the main ingredient they put into menopause supplements; I didn't want to do HRT because I'd heard horror stories.

• Posted

You had your menopause young Georgia! I had awful hot flushes and do  still get hot sweats, but the worst symptom is the extreme fatigue, and lately the light headedness, that is really getting me down. I don't want to take HRT either, so I might look at the wild yam. I see some people are also taking B12 and CQ10, so I might look into that too. It's so wearying feeling tired all the time.
    • Posted

Young Georgia, she repeats flicking her hair! lol I'm 50 but the photo was taken when I was 40 cause it's the latest one I have. Both ends of menopause, beginning and end.

Yes definitely I take B vitamins and CQ10 as well as wild yam. And good diet of course. You'll get through this.

When I was really menopausally all over the place a friend a bit older said when she came out the other side she felt so much happier, so do what you can and know it doesn't last forever! razz

• Posted

Hi Mary 24931

Thanks for your reply, and it's interesting that you are going through the same thing.  I do work, but only part-time, and feel when I am not working, I am at home resting.  I too get the "spaced out" feeling along with extreme fatigue, but also have a nausea feeling, which I have not had before.  I only take a mild dose of Citalopram to help regulate my sleep (although question whether they do actually work)!  I am looking into what supplements to take which might help, so would be grateful for any suggestions.

Take care. X

• Posted

I didn't get nausia from menopause; in fact it's a new one on me! But then you don't get the hot flushes.
  • Posted

Hi GeorgiaS

Thanks for your reply.  That's very encouraging to learn that there is light at the end of the tunnel!  I shall certainly look into taking Wild Yam.  Must admit, I've not heard of it before, but am willing to try anything that may help.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Take care. X

• Posted

I just had to find a way and after much research I did! Our female ancestors knew this stuff! 
  • Posted

Yes, Hope4bett. My symptoms have definitely exacerbated since menopause. I used to be able to manage my symptoms, but now I have many more bad days that good ones. I hope you are feeling better, and if so, what do you find helpful? KPD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.