ME/CFS Involves Brain Inflammation: Results from a Ramsay Pilot Study

Posted , 2 users are following.

The following info is from an email I received on Friday from the Solve ME/CFS Initiative group. Dr. Younger is participating in a webinar that I signed up for on December 13. It should be interesting.

Jarred Younger, PhD

Ramsay Award Program - 2016 Class

Director and Associate Professor

Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue Laboratory

University of Alabama, Birmingham

Join Dr. Jarred Younger for a discussion of his new research findings that indicate brain inflammation plays a significant role in the pathophysiology of ME/CFS.With pilot funding from SMCI’s Ramsay Award Program, Dr. Younger used a non-invasive imaging technique to measure temperature and other brain chemistry indicators in individuals with ME/CFS and control subjects. The results showed distinctly elevated brain temperature, indicative of inflammation, in patients. The involvement of brain inflammation in the development and progression of ME/CFS has long been an area of interest, but there has been a lack of direct evidence to support the connection. This seminal study further validates that neuroinflammation is occurring in ME/CFS patients and has the potential to point the way to an objective marker and effective medical treatments.

Dr. Jarred Younger obtained his PhD in Experimental Psychophysiology at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville in 2003. Dr. Younger then completed postdoctoral fellowships in pain medicine and neuroimaging at Arizona State University and Stanford University before joining the faculty at Stanford in 2009. In 2014, he transferred to the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where he currently directs the Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue Laboratory. His lab uses neuroimaging, immune monitoring, and clinical trial techniques to develop new diagnostic tests and treatments for pain and fatigue disorders.

2 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Following this thread - sounds very interesting, I will need to look into this further.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.