Meal Portion size and NAFLD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know of any reference to or explanation of why large meals are bad for people with Fatty Liver? 

I've heard it several times but any discussion on it are limited.  I realize sugary foods and allot of it raise insulin and are bad for NAFLD, but what about all the other cases.

I'm looking into the exact reasons why it is often recommended that you don't consume large meals with fatty liver?

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Generally, if you have a poorly liver, it does not function as well as a normal liver.

Your liver, not your stomach, provides and stores your energy for the body. When this function is impaired, the liver cannot store energy so well. Therefore it is better to eat little and often, than a big meal which makes you feel full, but the energy from it cannot be stored.

• Posted

I am sure its not just those with a fatty liver that should eat a little and often, if you try to pile to much food into your system it will be like overloading a hard drive and as you do that it will slow right down and become sluggish, is your weight healthy, if not this is another reason for small regular meals,

Your liver has to process all the food you eat especially fat, if you have too much it will not be able to so it will cause discomfort and store the excess for when its not so busy, but if you continually keep adding more it will eventually say that's it I'm just not coping im going on strike.

That's probably a bit of a strange analogy but its what happens, knowing the exact workings of the liver and the exact workings of it want change the outcome when it reaches saturation point, just do as the consultant says and hopefully you can reverse the damage you have done.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, but do any of you know of any reference to information on this. Studies, some kind of scientific backing.   

I believe what you both are saying, I know it to be true, but I'm looking for some scientific proof or even a reference to scientific proof about this concept. 

• Posted

Shouldn't matter.  It's not related to what I'm asking.  

Yes weight will exacerbate the situation, but the principle is still the same.

• Posted

Nope, never really researched it 100%, but it is what my hospital acute dietician told me, when I came out of hospital after liver failure - amongst other things. If you are unhappy with the answer, use Google and speak to medical professionals.

I doubt you'll get more accurate advice.

• Posted

Don't take my reply the wrong way.. I just asked a question from people who could possibly know the answer.  

It's good enough for me that your hospital's dietitian has mentioned this.  It tells me that there is some substance behind this fact, which I might add is almost completely ignored by doctors here in Australia and largely in the U.S.A.  My doctor recommends two large meals a day if you have fatty liver.  That's how out of touch he is.   I sometimes wonder how these people keep their jobs.  It makes intuitive sense that your meal size should be small.   Not just for me, but for anybody.. 

As for searching Google, I did that and it brought me here.  Often asking questions on forums is the end of a long Google search which doesn't always bring any results. So I asked the question.

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with your dietitian. 

It's a pity there were no studies on this.. At least, 6 months of searching hasn't turned up any.

• Posted

I will add that it was an acute dietician that deals with people in this field (I have cirrhosis) and not just a general dietician that would be concerned about nourishment and weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.