Meals After GB Removal

Posted , 8 users are following.

What foods are you all eating after GB removal ?

I'm on a very restricted diet due to IBS and Diverticulitis already

and wondering what I would be able to eat if I get my GB removed.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out over 3 years ago and after that I started with IBS, doesn't matter what u eat I have really bad days when I need to be near s toilet at all times, has anyone else suffered with this? I've been under the consultant in all this time and apart from staying on tablets which I've not had much luck with them there isn't much they can do.

• Posted

I can't eat a nice meal no more full after toast or salad must be a common side effects of gallbladder removal

• Posted

I was told I could eat anything. I had my GB removed on 14th July. I have been careful this week with portion size and not eaten anything with much fat, and have had no problems. The doctor seemed surprised when I asked about diet post GB removal.
  • Posted

Hi Linda!

I'm on gluten/ lactose free diet due to IBS-D ( prior to GB removal) now I'm Day 5 since surgery and all I'm eating is oatmeal with strawberries and chicken soap 😩but the doctor told me I could eat anything I want ( but I did not work for me , solids made me sick so I will stick to this diet for one more week)

• Posted

Linda,

I've had my gallbladder out since October of 2014.  Just avoid anything with high fat, and follow your doctor's advice for your restricted diet.  I always think of fat as my enemy.  I myself stay away from soda pop, and anything that is highly acidic, because of my acid reflux.  However, I eat a very balanced diet of vegetables, fruit, meat, nuts, grains, and some dairy.  Rule of thumb; if it bothers your system, don't eat it.  Other than that, drink plenty of water.  I hope this helps!  

• Posted

I'm five months post op. I tend to eat smaller meals these days and I stick mainly to low fat foods as I find too much fat in one go overloads my digestive system: I can eat one poached egg, but feel uncomfortable after two. I ordered pizza today, as it was daughter's birthday, but only ate half (no repercussions!). So long as there's not too much fat, I'm ok. I avoid very spicy foods, alcohol and fizzy drinks, but as you have IBS you are probably already eating this way.

I was told I'd be able to eat 'normally', whatever 'normal' is. You just have to be sensible and play it by ear when introducing foods- if they have repercussions, don't eat them again! I used to love pineapple but find it doesn't agree with me any more so I don't eat it. It's really not rocket science.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.