Mebeverine - IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered with stomach troubles for 20 years.

I have been given mebeverine, I have tried this s couple of times and it helps with the pain, but I feel so tired, dizzy, and effects vison, I dont think mebeverine agrees with me, anybody else suffering.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Doctor prescribed mebeverine for me and I also felt dizzy and too tired to walk very far as soon as I stopped taking them I was back to normal

• Posted

Mebeverine disagreed with me too. It did nothing for my pain and other symptoms. Instead, it felt like I had swallowed a pebble after minutes of taking the first tablet. My constipation worsened and I could feel my food digesting for an hour. Although I have reflux and indigestion, Mebeverine gave me indigestion the like of which I have never experienced before. I stopped the tablets after four days and felt a lot better. I then tried them again and got the same symptoms so I threw them out. The patient leaflet was useless and did not list my side effects but the internet showed them all. My chemist said these tablets were good but they were nothing of the sort. I tried Buscopan and they helped my symptoms with no side effects. I would stop Mebeverine, tell your doctor they make you feel worse and ask for something else. There are other antispasmodics on the market that are far better. There is no point in a medication that takes away your symptoms but gives you other problems. Mebeverine is a known irritant, particularly for your stomach.

• Posted

Hi there..I also am on mebeverine..And I found the made me so tired and exhausted..but stick with them..after a few weeks this will disappear..The really work..and I would be lost without them..the do cause heartburn. but just try bicabonate soda..with water and this will really help. Good luck with them.

• Posted

If a drug is upsetting your stomach, it's best to discontinue it.That's the best way to get rid of side effects, not adding more potential toxins into the mix. I would find it soul destroying to put myself through weeks of debilitating reactions in the hope that in the end they will go away. . While side effects may eventually clear up for some people, others may not get this relief and may still find the medication is not suiting them because everyone is different. I found an anti spasmodic that is far more effective and milder on the stomach and the rest of the body than Mebeverine. I didn't have to mess around trying to tolerate side effects and resorting to other medications to get rid of bad reactions.

Trying to force your body to cope with drug reactions that it is clearly struggling to do, only puts more physical and mental stress on the body which is very bad for IBS. Is it not better to find a medication that suits you better? For me, it is illogical to give yourself extra complications you don't need.

• Posted

Ask to try alverine if you are having side effects with your tablets.

• Posted

Thanks for that..I'm ok at the moment but if in future I will try.

• Posted

hi stephen, when. are doctors ever going to realise this stuff doesn't work for more people? don't take that ask for an alternative. it causes lots of problems!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.