Mebeverine isn’t working! Can I take buscapan on top?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering from pains and norsea for 3 months straight. I’ve had tests and all the doctors keep saying is it’s ibs. Mebeverine doesn’t work. Can I have buscapan as well as mebeverine? Does anyone have any suggestions for me because I’m running out of ideas!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Ella

Always confirm with your GP tomorrow, ask for a phone appointment and ask, if you have that medication already.

If not you may need to attend your GP practice to confirm

Have you been on these two drugs together at an earlier date ??

BOB

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! I haven’t no. I’ve only been on them separately. But mebevrine doesn’t seem to want to work for me. I’m constantly in pain and the doctors don’t have a clue. They’ve said ibs but when I said the mebeverine didn’t work, they never tried me with any other medication.
    • Posted

Sorry ella you are going through the mill

As I said above talk to your GP tomorrow, they can in cases talk to you on the phone, they know your medications and can advise. Or leave a prescription on reception for you to pick up

BOB

• Posted

Ella

I do not know regards IBS, you could ask to talk to the out of hours Doctor who may be able to advise although you would be in the same position to get medication in the morning

BOB

• Posted

I would come off Mebeverine and try Buscopan and nurofen instead.  A lot of people have trouble with Mebeverine.  I was prescribed it and it gave me severe indigestion and it made my constipation far worse.  It felt like I had swallowed a stone minutes after I had swallowed the first tablet.  I was aware of digesting my food for an hour.  I tried Buscopan and nurofen and it worked with no side effects.  Mebeverine may be irritating your stomach further.
    • Posted

It’s a nightmare, the pain can last for hours. Unfortunately I’ve been told to stay clear of ibeprofin as it can irritate the stomach further. Otherwise I’d of tried thissad
    • Posted

Nurofen can be harsh on the stomach.  I try to take it very sparingly and with milk which turns into a food in the stomach.  
    • Posted

Hopefully you can find something that works.
  • Posted

I have been prescribed mebeverine and Buscopan together but I take

Mebeverine 20 minutes before a meal and Buscopan when needed.

Nurofen is terrible on the stomach , it can cause bleeding , I can't take it .

• Posted

Yeah I try to stay away from ibeprofin now. I will try thank you!
  • Posted

Hi, I don’t normally reply on here (lack of time etc) but your post struck a chord with me. I’ve suffered with IBS for years every day. I found that none of the meds works and it was a case of finding out which foods I had to stop eating. I now eat a very tasteless bland diet with no alcohol:-(   I take Colpermin for the constant bloating and trapped wind and the biggest relief has come from probiotic tablets, shops own branded ones. For the pain I take paracetamol. 

I think everyone is probably different but after lots of trial and error I have some kind of relief now, occasionally xx

• Posted

m glad you’ve found something that works for you! Just hope I’m almost there!
  • Posted

I have never taken mebeverine. I managed my IBS with buscopan and loperamide, tending to take 2 loperamide in the morning and buscopan as required.  This kept the diarrhoea under control but I am further dealing with it by being on the FODMAP diet, the next stage is to reintroduce food
    • Posted

Yeah I had a discussion with my doctor today I will be starting this soon too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.