Mebeverine prescribed today

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I’m new here and have a few questions. I’ve just been prescribed Mebeverine and need to take 3 tablets a day. 

I have taken one and noticed I have been to the toilet a few times since 11 this morning. 

I’ve been having bowel problems and ive had to do a stool sample and the dr noticed I had a lump in my stomach that moved and it had a pulse it was on the left side and very large. He said it might be blockage do you get this with IBS? 

I have to take these tablets for two weeks to see if it helps me as I get constipated a lot and feel as though I’ve done a good stool and it tends to be tiny.

Just worrying as google is making out I have the big C. I do suffer with swollen lymph nodes and my bloods came back normal range so I’m a little confused if IBS can cause swollen moveable lymph nodes

Any help would be great smile 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have had IBS for several years now, and I did initially have a blockage which was a result of the IBS. I took a stool softener, which cleared the blockage. I was prescribed Mebeverine which did not suit me. I changed to Buscopan (Hyoscine butyl bromide) which are much better for me. I also take 100mg of Psyllium Husk a day which helps to keep my stools soft. I would recommend them. You can speak to your Doctor about both those products. Best of luck.

• Posted

Mebeverine is designed to bung you up and can make constipation far worse!  I was put on it too and it made my constipation horrendous and gave me far worse indigestion than I usually get.  I only lasted a few days on this medication and then threw it out.  A lot of people have trouble with it. You should not have been prescribed this if you have constipation. It says on the leaflet to tell your doctor if you have constipation before taking this drug.  For constipation, it is far better to take lots of fruit and vegetables or an occasional laxative if necessary.

I have never heard of a lump that moves and has a pulse with IBS.  Maybe it is impacted stool if you are constipated. Is your doctor doing anything about this?  Swollen lymph nodes can be a sign of infection.  

The lump on your left side may also be an abdominal hernia.

Do not google your symptoms because google gives very general information that does not take individual cases into account.  Dr Google can cause severe health anxiety.  Google terrified me for three and a half months before I got an IBS dignosis.

• Posted

Thank you.  I went loo this morning I hadn’t been loo for two days and when I did I had big clumps of mucus like strings and that’s only reason why I went to the docs this morning xx
    • Posted

Thank you.  I went loo this morning I hadn’t been loo for two days and when I did I had big clumps of mucus like strings and that’s only reason why I went to the docs this morning xx
    • Posted

There was no stools at all when I passed just thick mucus strings my partner thought it was worms and luckily I took a picture and shown the doctor who had no idea what it was. So god knows. 

Hopefully I’ll find out soon with my stool sample in a few days xz

• Posted

I switched to Buscopan and it worked for me with no side effects.
  • Posted

Hi, I took mebeverine some years back and thought it made gut issues worse, was the lump in your stomach or was it in the colon?, if I press on the stomach area I can feel all sorts of lumps and movements, I'm pretty slim so I actually feel the peristalsis this is the movements going in the colon, I can also feel the aorta pulsing, you can do a sort of massage on this area to relieve bloating and constipation, check online it gives info on the procedure.

• Posted

To big to be lymph nodes I have several lymph nodes in neck and groin that are up and the doctor doesn’t no why as bloods are back normal. So I’m a little worried bout them. 
    • Posted

If you have several lymph nodes in your neck and groin that are up. this means that that these lymph nodes are swollen. Keep going back to your doctor for more tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.