Mebeverine side effects not mentioned on NHS website

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I have been taking Mebeverine 135mg tablets for about 8 weeks now. I suffered from bad bloating, intestinal pain and bad winds, particularly in the evening. It has been like that for years.

GP offered me the Mebeverine which I gladly took. As I am sensitive to medicines, herbs and chemicals (not allergic, just sensitive) I started with 1 tablet a day. This was working fine at first. I also take a low dose of beta-blocker each day (I am in my fifties). All bloating, pain and wind stopped, I felt like a human again.

However, in the past week or so I noticed that my blood pressure was going up from normal to 135-85, joint by headaches in the afternoons, sometimes at night too. This was not normal for me! I am thinking about giving up Mebeverine and start checking my blood pressure.

I wonder if anyone experienced increase in blood pressure while on Mebeverine. This side-effect seems to be mentioned only by professional medical journal articles online. Incidentally, insomnia is another side-effects mentioned while on Mebeverine. I wonder if there are other medicines to help IBS (without diarrhoea). Take care, B.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi babs, that damn medication doctors think they are like sweets! it"s horrid stuff! why were you offered it anyway? just wondered. you check with people on here, ask for anything else. i would check your chemist about your side effects. to deal with bloating etc try maybe buscopan? ask your chemist anyway they'll know best. good luck, i'd stop the mebeverine, i only have gaviscon, i react to other stuff.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your message. I took Buscomint for a while but with Mebeverine, so I might try it on its own. I think that Buscopan has salt in it, which I try to avoid. A lot of digestive aids have salt. Thank you for suggestion. B

• Posted

good luck to you, mebeverine i think is cheapest and nastiest to dole out! horrid stuff! as i say i only take gaviscon, i am allergic to the others or they drop my blood pressure and i fall ...

• Posted

Good luck to you Sam, you are the opposite of my symptoms... That is why I am so cautious with any new medication. You might just benefit from some salt...in moderation. 😃

• Posted

hi babs, i have been advised to have a little salt in my diet, most unheard of!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.