mechanical aortic valve

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a mechanical aortic valve replacement plus aortic root replacement due to an aneurysm, in Feb 2014, I was wondering if anyone else is still struggling to cope with the noise n thudding of a mechanical valve? I'm finding it really difficult even though it has been over a year since surgery 😊 we

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Diane I know exactly what you mean!  I had exactly the same op as you mid december last year and the thudding and noise almost drove me crazy!  It has quietened down a bit and its only when I exert myself that the thudding feels like it going to burst out of my throat, but I can still hear and feel it all the time.  It's worse at night or when I'm reading and the house is quiet.  None of my family can hear it but when I had my follow up echocardiogram the technician said she could hear it as soon as she entered the room.  I realise we should be grateful to be alive and healthy but that noise and thudding is a real pain. x
    • Posted

Hi Gail

Thankyou for replying, glad I'm not the only one lol

My partner can hear mine when in bed, I have to hav tv on to get to sleep at night but true its better to be alive but I struggle x

• Posted

HI Diane (and Gail), I'm 51 and got my valve 4 years ago. I'm not sure if it's quieter, or I am just used to it. It does tick, I feel it, hear it ,as do my wife and tennage kids. I think that we are all just pleased that it's still ticking. Although it does still annoy me from time to time - More annoying for me is the need to take warfarin every evening and bisoprolol every morning.
    • Posted

Hi

I've been told that I will get used to it but haven't yet, the warfarin doesn't bother me much, only thing with it, is remembering what u can n can't do because of it, id be more worried bout blood clots n valve failing if I didn't take it 😊

• Posted

I've just had the same done, two weeks and one day ago. I can't really hear the ticking, but I can certainly hear the strong beat of my heart, in my ears and head, when it's quiet. I think it depends on the type of valve you got (don't know what mine is) as a guy I met in hosptial had an Onyx valve put in, and you can sure hear that one tic. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.