Media moving forward re AUD.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I don't normally watch Eastenders but was on in the back ground last week. I wouldn't recommend you watch it though or you will get major depressed! Anyway Phill, the alcoholic, was drinking again. Like really alcoholic drinking. But he was getting better( I haven't watched it since) but the night I watched it I was impressed that they said he couldn't just give up but was tapering. Never seen this before on tv, so think the message is getting through regarding aws.

plus there was a thing in the paper last week about an alcoholic who was tortured and murdered in her own home( God bless her soul and I hope she is in peace now). They said she had alcohol use disorder. I think that things are moving forward regarding us and others xx

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Meaning recognition it's a serious medical illness and we can't just stop..
  • Posted

Please don't think me disrespectful regarding the poor lady that was murdered. I didn't mean it to be and feel sad now, sensitive me. I meant she wasn't degraded by being called an alcoholic, but it was said she had alcohol use disorder. Hope you understand x
    • Posted

I fully understand what you meant. I watch eastenders and I too heard Ben saying that Phil couldn't suddenly stop drinking and needed a plan. Sad life isn't it when we get the message from soaps?
  • Posted

I just learned the term Alcohol Use Disorder on this Forum.

I think it is better than the Alcoholic label.

Any way of getting the message across, is good.  So many people hide their problem/illness. I feel terrible shame about it.  I think it is quite easy to hide the extent of it.  I cannot fool myself, though.  I know exactly how bad it is.

I hope you are well and coping, Paper fairy.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

drink can ruin relationships but Eastenders do have good storylines I agree.

rich

• Posted

Hey, do you mean you actually appeared in the background of Eastenders Paper?  And how did that come about?

Yes, that poor woman who was murdered by those girls.  Bless her, she only came into contact with them because they used her to supply them with drink and cigarettes.  Like you, I hope she has found peace from the horrors this world can inflict on vulnerable people.

Sorry for the late reply, something is messed up with the forum and I am not getting posts until 2 or 3 days after they were first posted.

Patxx

• Posted

Hi. I haven't been posting much as there does seem to be a problem with posting on this forum at the mo. Pat, no I've not been in eastenders! I'm Okayish at the mo, have good days and rubbish days..depressed at the mo, but you all know how that feels. Take care all xx
    • Posted

Hi Paper fairy,

Isn't the depression a living Hell ?

Were you depressed before "alcohol issues"?

I think I was always depressed... way before I knew the word for how I felt.  

I hope you are coping, as well as possible.

Flappity, flap,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Yes Angel. I've always suffered with depression. Though non of my immediate family suffer I do have an uncle( he's a retired vicar) and a couple of cousins that do too. It's an illness. Though I do realise that alcohol makes it worse.

So I've had my blood tests all back, full mot, I should be happy that liver, kidneys all ok. But actually I'm depressed as I have most of the symptoms of an under active thyroid. I was hoping that this would show up and I could have meds to deal with..chronic insomnia, chronic fatigue, chronic muscle aches, belly weight gain tho not eating a lot, basically feeling ill all the time( even when I was months sober last year) plus depression. I'm so sick and tired of feeling like an invalid. Not sure what to do..sad

• Posted

Gosh... it is really weird... I have an underactive thyroid.  I was termed "borderline" , for more than 10 years... by blood tests.  Then, whatever..., dipped,  somehow, I became "Hypothyroid"... I have to take Levothyroxine daily... or I die... no pressure. 

There are many supplement things out there.

All the symptoms that you have stated...I still have.  I take the medication every morning... still feel bad.

The "sick, invalid" status is killing me.

I have arthritis issues, as well.  Joints  are feckadoodled- dooed !

Oh Paper fairy,  we have to "fly above it all".  Wouldn't that be lovely ?

I hope you are doing well,

Love from your flapping friend...

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

You're a lovely lady, dear angel.. I'm rubbish at the mo and drinking again. Going to see eldest daughter( not seen her since beginning of Jan), not my dancing daughter. Have a difficult relationship with my eldest, 23 years old. She's always been rather distant, though probably my fault, and very close to her dad. Going with parents. Thinking I may stay with them again to stop drinking, for a few days. Maybe x
    • Posted

I have enabled Private Messages.  I think. Contact me, if you wish .  I am here ,  I am lonely, I like to try to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.