Medial branch block??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys I was wandering if someone could shed some light on this procedure please...6 weeks ago I had medial branch block diagnostic test to go on and have rhizalisis if I get good results! so the next day I felt fantastic and for the next 2 week's my pain went from 10 to 2 I could move around and walk with out chronic debilitating pain. After the 2 weeks the nerve pain in my legs and feet started coming back and is now unbearable again however i am still getting benefits from faucet joint pain. during the procedure my doc said to let him know if I get good results and he'll get me straight in for rhizalisis but now his secretary is saying I've had the procedure and that i cant have anything else done so a clinic appointment has been made for the end of April? I'm so confused!! has anyone had this done? is medial branch block the same thing as rhizalisis?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you have had a diagnostic procedure only. the effects last a short time. I would contact your doctor for further advice.

• Posted

Hi, I am a retired physician if that means anything but I thought I would reply to hopefully clear up some misconceptions.

The procedure you are asking about is a radio-frequency ablation or RF rhizotomy. Basically, the physician inserts some needles and passes an electric current down the specialized needles which heats up the needle tip and if the needle is positioned perfectly, it burns and damages the medial nerve which supplies the pain fibers to the facet joint. BTW, the nerve will grow back in two or three months or up to a year or more. It sounds like you had the necessary test procedure where a long acting numbing agent ( like the novocaine you might get at a dentist office ) is injected to see if the RF procedure will work. The numbing agent diffuses over a large area and usually works but is not really indicative if the RF procedure will work. The nurse gave you incorrect information unless she is new or ignorant. If the test injection worked, the RF might work and if you choose, you can go ahead with the RF ablation but beware that it is hit or miss and there are no guarantees.

I am not a big fan of the procedure though I have had it and it actually made me worse for a time. I would never do it again. There is a deep tissue burn which is part of the RF procedure and that alone may be very painful. In any case, the RF procedure tries to damage the pain fibers in the nerve which allows you to continue to damage the joints without feeling the pain and it is temporary. It certainly does not attempt to cure or heal anything. You should try some topical ointments which penetrate and deliver both anti-pain and anti-inflammatory ingredients. I could give you a list but we are all different with different anatomy and body chemistry, so try a few and see what works for you. Almost anything combined with DMSO should get to the areas unless you are very obese in which case there is farther to go to get to the sensitive areas. If that is the case. try losing some weight as part of the treatment.

• Posted

thank You so much for your detailed information, it's a shame I had to come on here to understand what I had done!!

i totally understand that this is not a cure and there are risks and even possibly worse but with out them i am unable to function, before the test I was barely living and within days I could get out the house, my pain went from 10 to 2. I have a failed l4/5 fusion, chronic sacrialic joint dysfunction, thoracic arachnoid cyst t2-6, cervical degeneration, chronic myofacial pain and now I am suffering with ischial tuberosity pain. those 2 weeks were a game changer for me I have never felt so good in years and I really want to use the pain free time to build up my body muscle the best I can, i just hope I'm doing the right thing but I'm sure it will come back to haunt me at some stage😪 thank you

• Posted

I have neuropathy in both arms and hands due to injuries. One arm was damaged permanently after a a badly done blood test and other was caused by a fall on my elbow. I have tried some topical creams to no avail and medicated heat patches which also don't do much. My doctor suggested low dose anti depressants but I decided I didn't want to risk giving myself more problems with side effects. Warm weather actually gets rid of the neuropathy and cold weather sets it off. It is such a pity there are no mild over the counter remedies that would work immediately and give total relief and which could be used as and when needed.

• Posted

have you tried CBD oil?? i use it and it has reduced my pain somewhat but don't think ill ever be totally pain free

• Posted

I haven't tried it. Is it strong enough to actually give long lasting pain relief? A lot of OTC remedies have very weak levels of pain numbing ingredients and don't really reduce the pain enough to be worth it. My pain is more or less the same with or without remedies. For me, warm weather is the only thing that fully takes the pain away.

• Posted

I have tried the CBD oil and as far as I can tell it did nothing for me. I have tried the oral and topical and saw no change. I know that some people have had remarkable results but we are all different. It is probably worth a try.

One thing to try is a TENS unit. This is Trans-dermal Electronic Nerve Stimulation. This works for almost everyone though the effect is temporary. You can use it on any body part and they are inexpensive on the internet. Healthmate is a good brand.

I don't know where you are but topical Voltaren often works well. It is OTC in Europe but requires a prescription in the USA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.