Medial Knee Pain - very strange? What's wrong?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a young (19) female athlete. When I was 14, I had ACL Reconstruction and a meniscus repair on my left knee. At 16, I had a meniscectomy to repair a bucket handle meniscus tear also on my left knee.

Several weeks ago, I went outside to work out. I ran sprints, did ball touches, and played a little soccer (just shooting/etc. - no contact!). At no point did I twist wrong or hurt myself. Nothing. I was just fine.

Now several weeks later, I have this annoying medial pain on my left knee. The strange thing is, I have full range of motion, no tightness whatsoever, and no catching or locking. I can run around fine - just a little bit of pain on that one spot. 

I've never had anything like this. Any ideas of what it could be? 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Is it swollen Hannah?

Can you pivot side to side without any pain or limitations?

Describe what u mean by medial pain

David

• Posted

It is not swollen. I can pivot fine. Two days ago, I went to do a dynamic warm up and shot the ball (which requires planting my left poor and some pivoting). I could do that just fine. Today I very lightly jogged and there is a sharp pain on the medial aspect of my knee. No locking though and full range of motion.
    • Posted

How long did you work out with soccer and how far did you jog (in miles pls. Lol)
    • Posted

Soccer was about an hour. Not sure about the jog today, but I ran five sets of one minute jogs. Just wanted to test the waters.
  • Posted

no clue, but definitely get jt checked out with a doctor/surgeon, specially with your history of injuries
  • Posted

I also had meniscus repair followed a few years later by the acl replacement.

You're very young to sustain such an injury. Mine was in my mid twenties.

As you continue on in your athletics you are going to slowly grind and grind down to bone on bone. I played tennis and jogged about 5-10 miles pretty much everyday.

In my 50's now and after shoulder, hip and now total knee replacement surgery, my suggestion would be to try to ween off the jogging...at least on the streets. If you must, go to the gym and use the treadmill. Start core strengthening.

I know at your age you can't wrap your head around the fact that you will get old and your body, esp the now broken and repaired parts will go fast and first. Think of ur athletic life as a marathon and not a sprint.

Save something for 20-30 years down the line.

My guess is that whatever pain you're feeling if there's no swelling and you have full range of motion is simply after shocks so to speak from the damage you've had so far. It'll go away...then it'll come back....then as you age it'll come back more and more. You'll prob be getting aspirated every few months and cortisone shots to keep you going. Then one day 30-40 years from now you'll get a new knee. Gosh...who knows what medicine will be able to offer 40 years from now.

Point is there's going to be snap crackles and pops from your acl and meniscus repairs. TRY to work out smart. Strengthen your core as much as possible and build up those muscles around the knee.

Don't fret the small stuff unless they become DIRE.

Be good...make wise choices!

• Posted

Nerve damage . sometimes it takes months even years for a damaged nerve to reclaim its complete use and health. Every time one segment heals it has to fire up and complete the circuitry. Often times this is almost completed then it will disconnect and has to start over again. Stay with the gentle useage and don't overdo it
    • Posted

Her injuries were 3-5 yrs ago OFG...do you think as a woman who's still growing and her body naturally building itself up could still be experiencing nerve damage "aftershocks?"

Wow 14 yrs old and poor gal requires an ACL and meniscus repair. That's ...YOUNG! But wouldn't you think her bodies nerve system now at 19 (5 yrs later) would have healed completely?

• Posted

Apparently she reinjured something as this has flared up again and structural damage doesn't appear to be the concern. My. Wife had guillian-bairrie syndrome in '77. She was paralyzed from the middle of her torso to her feet. It is a neurological condition caused by a virus and causes extensive nerve damage. She had to be completely retrained to walk . it took over 3 years for her to get over the nerve pain in her legs and feet and then would occassionally flare up. After about 3 1/2 years I came home one evening and found her sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor with a paring know in her had. She had started to peel potatoes and suddenly the nerves kicked in and the legs went numb and she had to sit before she fell. Now they have found that over 70% of the people with GBS wind up with parkinsons, which she has and is really advanced
    • Posted

Wow..ok i see. Sorry about that.

Fyi i must have been under the spell of some spinal block when i first got home. This TKR is killing me body mind and soul.

• Posted

I understand the delayed reaction. Superman suddenly becomes human when all the crap wears off. I didn't want to say anything to bring you down from your original posts but was sure reality would bite you in The butt. Now comes the stuff we all talk about....pain meds on a regular basis......ice the leg as often as it needs it. Do your excercises faithfully but not so much you worsen the pain. I always use the "up to but not into pain". I asked him how do you know the difference and his answer was......you'll know when it hits you. Rest and drink plenty of water. Stay away from soda, over useage of coffee and no alcohol for awhile. One final thought.....stay off of pogo sticks as they just leave you with a constant up and down feeling. As I recall you said you have a dog....be very careful not to get tangled up with a pet. More injuries to replace patients seem to come from animals doing what they do and tripping the individual. Once starting down there is no returning. This from a guy who fell and broke a femur on the bad leg the day after the revision. I didn't need the help of a dog....I had enough natural stupidity to to that one on my own. That phase of mybjourny has caused me nor problems than the original tkr. Hang in there and take your meds..........remember one final word....Don't text and take pain meds.......the courts are full of lawsuits because of that.
    • Posted

It wore off a few days ago, just didn't want to admit it. But yesterday was WICKED AWFUL. I told the PT my friend Linda was at 100° and why am I...a man...an athlete only at 60°? So she pushed and pushed and pushed until the neighbors called 911 (joking) but it only went to 70° but as a result ever since the pain is grusome...my leg b has turned black and blue. I'm nauseous, I'm angry I'm hungry and im..

#%÷$€*μμГ¥ !!!!!

• Posted

Sorry, I'm not versed in hebrew so the last line has to go with the imagination

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.