Medical advice please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Question for anyone with some medical knowledge please.  I am two weeks dry and one week from end of detox.  Today I feel shaky & dizzy with occasional visual disturbances.  At the beginning of my detox my BP was 151/105 - by the end it was 120/80.  I am taking daily:

10mg Amlodopine

5mg Candestarten

50mg Sertraline

150mg Thiamine (was 300mg but am running out so rationing)

Vit B Strong twice per day

75mg Aspirin

Multi Vitamin with Iron

Plus last night I took two senna tablets (for obvious reasons)

The first GP appointment I could get is 8 March.  Is it likely to be low blood pressure? Late reaction to detox? Should I worry or just wait until 8 March?

Am eating and drinking well - tea, lucozade, water etc plus fruit and veg.

Any thoughts/advice would be gratefully received.

Lorna x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lorna,  It sounds like you are doing everything right.  I would suggest you take Magnesium 500mg + (citrate form), to help calm you down (shakes) and help with the bowel.  Also, potassium is necessary to help with retaining necessary fluids and balance the magnesium.  I'm not a doctor, but I have had, and followed these recommendations.  Stay on the thiamin, it helps the cognitive and psychological processes.  Good luck and stick to it!
  • Posted

Hi Lorna..firstly...well done on the detox...

Secondly.....the symptoms will fade off. Quite soon....I have had eight detox treatments...it is wonderful !!! You get your life back..

Please try not too worry .....it Will get BETTER I promise...

Ask if you can be kept on sertraline.....it is brilliant.. I have been on it for 13 yrs.........good luck AND big hugs to you........Dee xxxx

• Posted

Well first off, I'm shocked at the GP appointment. I could call the surgery tomorrow morning and I would get an appointment tomorrow to see a doctor - you must live in a city.

You're on twice the dose of amplodopine that I am and I have realatively high blood pressure. Your BP was normal at the end  and drinking does increase BP, so once you stop, it should come down naturally.

So, if you're (if I have this right), one week dry with detox, and then the following week dry without detox medication, you should be past the stage of any alcohol withdrawal symptoms (not craving, that can continue for months).

i gain, once i left hospital, I only ever take 100mg of thiamine per day, it's a non precription med, that you can buy on the high st from the likes of H&B, as is vitamin B compund strong. Thiamine is to aid your brain/memory, because people don't eat properly when they drink and also the alcohol hinders the normal process. The vitamin B compound is to help speed up your liver repair.

Are you eating enough? Your body would have taken all of its calories from alcohol before (they're easy calories for it to use, so your body always goes for those first). If not, your energy levels could be low. it could be low bloood pressure, but that would need to be checked, there is one way, but I can't recommend it.

• Posted

HI Lorna and WELL DONE TO YOU!! We are all applauding and backing you. The replies from Deidre, Jacqueline and RHGB cover everyting since they are experts and I am not..did not take any medication and cannot give advice. Best of luck on your brilliant path!! this is your year! Robin
  • Posted

Thank you all for the good advice smile.  RHGB I think I am eating well - beef goulash with Tagliatelle last night, full (slimming world style) brekkie this morning and planning a roast later.  I'm also drinking lucozade like it's going out of style!  That said, I have lost half a stone in the two weeks I haven't been drinking - had assumed it was probably mostly fluid though.  I don't live in a city - I'm between Southampton & Portsmouth in the burbs. The problem is that work don't know about the detox and I had to say I had a bug the week I was off.  I sometimes work at home as I'm also self employed but am in the office this week until Friday and if you ask for a non-routine appointment you have to sit and wait until someone is free - often until after 10 and I'm worried about annoying my employer further.  Really I just wanted to know if I should worry or if it could wait - is it worth asking the pharmacist to check my BP?

Will get some Magnesium while I'm in Boots and some bananas for the potassium - hopefully that will help.  Thanks again for such great replies and for explaining the function of the meds to me - I was worried that it might be the lower dose of the Thiamine that was causing problems but that doesn't sound as though it is that.

Lorna x

• Posted

Well done from me too Lornasmile What an acheivement. I cant give medical advice either but you've had some great stuff come through from the others on here that really know what they are talking about !

Good luck , stay strong and keep going girl ! You can do it 

Best wishes xx

• Posted

Hello Lorna, it seems unlikely to be a reaction to detox. You could get a blood pressure monitor from the chemist for about £15-£20 and check if your blood pressure is low but, while that could cause dizziness, it wouldn't normally make you shaky.

Dizziness could also be a side effect of Amlodipine. Shakiness is another possible side effect of it, but described as 'rare.' Have you started taking that recently?

Sertraline can also have these side effects. Candastarten can have a side-effect of dizziness.

It's worth reporting these side effects to your GP as you could do with a full review of your medication. If the symptoms get severe, you have no choice but to call 111 (although that often results in you being told to make an appointment with your GP or go to A & E). The alternative is to go to A & E if you are very concerned.

• Posted

Thanks Paul

I have had a chat with the pharmacist who told me not to try other supplements until I have seen the doctor as they can react with other meds I'm on?  So just the bananas for today.  My hubby is going to go and get me a BP monitor just to put my mind at rest on that front - then I can decide whether I need to see the doc sooner than 8 March. I am very thirsty all the time and the pharmacist said that can be a symptom of low BP but also diabetes.  My first bloods before detox showd a slightly raised glucose level of 6.1 so that was repeated on second day of detox and had come down to 6 - so something like that is not beyond the realms of possibility but considering how much less sugar I am taking in I'd hope that it would be OK.  I don't think I am in any way in need of A&E etc as the symptoms are mild and I'm able to work/cook etc.  I have been on amlodopine, candestarten and sertraline for over 9 months but perhaps the alcohol withdrawal was masking reactions to it - who knows!  Unless the BP is hugely off I think I'll wait for 8 March and get a full review of meds/bloods then. Thanks very much for the advice smile

Lorna x

• Posted

If you are concerned about diabetes, next time they do a blood test, ask for them to do an HbA1C test.
  • Posted

Well done Lorna. Have got a lot from everyone's posts on this discussion. Really helping me. Off to the gym in a bit for a half hour swim. Couldn't have done that this time last week! Hoping it will help with the only drawback of not drinking..insomnia xx
    • Posted

Well done you too!!  I have been swimming and walking etc too to wear myself out although not too difficult at the moment.  So much harder for you without the detox - keep at it, you are doing amazingly!! smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.