Medical causes of depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys.

I just wanted to know what medical reasons, such as hormon problems or loss of a particular vitamin or ... can cause depression for a 17 year trans guy? And how can I stop it?

The symptoms are: No motivation for anything, hates everything and everyone, a lot of suicidal thoughts per day, sleeps a lot more than before, eats barely anything, gets angry very easily for small things, self harm such as cutting arms, hitting head to the wall and ...

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi matt40763

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi Matt. I'm not sure about physical causes of all your symptoms but from what you described it sounds like depression to me. I have suffered from depression for years and it is very painful but I went to a doctor and told him exactly how I was feeling and started on antidepressants. Then I got him to refer me to a therapist to work on my underlying issues that were causing my depression and anxiety. Matt I think you need to call a doctor now! Will you do that? Do you have a close friend or relative that you can confide in? Please don't sit there in silence and suffer. On this site there are many who care and understand. Please keep writing us. Diane. 

• Posted

Thank you for advice, but I can't visit a doctor and use antidepressants secretly, and I really don't want my parents to know about this because they're already too worried about me.

I've heard some stuff, like for example thyroid problem, can cause depression, and I want to know what may cause this for a person like me so that maybe I could do sth about it myself.

• Posted

Hi Matt. You can go to a GP and have him do an extensive blood work on you and find out if there is anything physically wrong. But now you are 18 and you can see a doctor for antidepressants and get to a counselor. I am a parent and I can promise you that if my children need anything for their well being I want them to have it! I would worry more about their state of mind than them trying not to worry me. Please seek help. Diane
  • Posted

An I'll also appreciate if you give me a painless way for suicide, since I don't have a gun and I can't gas myself without gassing my whole family.

• Posted

Hi matt40763

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts , which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hello Matt on this site we try to help each other try to find solutions for living more comfortly we have no interest in helping you in other ways. We care about you!! One thing I find in depression is "tunnel vision" Matt. Tunnel vision is fixating on only one thing or solution to a problem. We here believe that medication and therapy is a good relief for our suffering! Please consider what all of us are saying. We care very much about you. Do you see how many people on here have offered help to you? Please keep us posted. Diane

• Posted

Hi I agree with Adidiane.  There are physical reasons for depression some of which can be thyroid problems,  lack of  vitamin B12  and I am sure there are loads more.

However this isn't the case for most depression sufferers so it is useless trying to guess what is wrong with you and you need to see a doctor for investigation and a firm diagnosis.  You are termed an adult and can see one without your parents having to know.  Depression whether from a physical or mental cause will probably not get better on it's own and can get worse the longer you leave it. 

Some people do get better without help but suffer a lot meantime.  Why suffer when there is help available?

• Posted

Hi Matt - you are describing depression. You need to see the doc asap. It's the first step to understanding what issues are driving your condition. When you are diagnosed, the process for recovery will be mapped out for you. Depression can be a chemical issue and no amount of wishing or self recriminations will solve it. You need help.  It's the responsible thing to do - for you, your future, and those around you.

• Posted

Hey. I have another question, do depressed people feel so low all the time? What is it when someone is on his worst and feels very terrible and suicidal in certain times a day? Like for example in afternoons and between 9-11 pm everyday? And feeling good in other times? (But still gets very sad and angry when something triggers it.)

• Posted

Hi Matt - there are many sorts of depression. Some will be constantly depressed, some will lurch from high to low moods (bi-polar), some will feel low at certain times of the year (Seasonal Affective Disorder - SAD), and then there's what you are describing - Diurnal Variation (DV). It's not uncommon and affects everyone differently. It's thought that sleep/wake patterns can affect the intensity of DV. There are methods used to help the sufferer - you need to see your doctor and explain whats happening. Other than that, I wondered how long this has been happening to you and whether there are any traumas in the past that might explain your condition?

• Posted

Hello. Well you said sleep wake patterns, I noticed that a few days ago I was high functioning at school that even my teachers noticed it and during the day everything was fine, and now I realize maybe it's because I hadn't slept the night before.

I don't know when exactly this started, but it increased about 7 month ago when I failed a very import exam which I had been studying 2 years so hard for, and I didn't go to school in that 2 years, and I was very confident about it. And a week after that my dog, which was my only friend ever, died. And the "I'm a useless dumb and I have no future" started. Plus I think being a transgender makes me hate myself more.

I'll visit the doc this week. Thank you for answering.

• Posted

Hi again Matt - I can relate to your observation about being high functioning after a sleepless night. I have had many of those. So sorry to read about your dog. Pets are so precious, all that unconditional energetic love. You are not dumb and everyone has a future. It's a sensible step to take seeing the doc. I was wondering whether you have made a full transition in your gender? Is an incomplete process making you hate yourself? I can imagine you will have suffered all sorts of insults from the loud and the stoopid.

• Posted

Thank you. Well I haven't transitioned yet, I had been on hormones for a few months, but I quit, because it's not accepted by the society here at all and people behave sooo bad about it specially at school, and even my parents don't understand and always complain about why I just can't be a normal girl.

So currently I have a girlish body which I hate.

• Posted

I'm sorry that you are subjected to that sort of treatment by those who do not understand - especially when it comes to family. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.