Medical marijuana help?

Posted , 8 users are following.

First off I'll say I am having a terrible time through perimenopause. I've had extreme anxiety, mood swings, from crying to rage and insomnia. I have tried every natural remedie, vitamins, diets, lots of excercise, even tried antidepressants and anxiety pills, nothing worked, actually the antidepressants made things worse and my doctors remedie to that is to try the red kind of antidepressants.

A friend suggested medicaL marijuana, for many reasons I delayed trying it for a couple years. Last week I gave in as my anxiety was through the roof and I needed sleep. It's only been a week and I have slept way better the last week than I have in a few years, and my anxiety is controlled, just having sleep has brightened my mood. I did research it's uses for menopause symptoms

I'm not using enough to be high as a kite, just enough to take the edge off and still function. It's only been a week so will continue seeing if it works through my cycle.

I realize it may not be legal everywheres but it's a thought.

Has anyone else tried this?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi my husband has said I have started snoring so much that's it's waking him up ....does anyone else have this problem ? Apparently it can happen in the menopause.

• Posted

My husband said I snore too but then he says my son snores..  I have heard my son and it's more of a heavy breathing sound than snoring so I can't really trust my husband with that.  I have been wearing a night guard for teeth grinding..  He hasn't complained about me snoring at all. So there could be a connection.

• Posted

Hi Kelly I also wear a night guard so I don't know if that makes the snoring worse. I have invested in some nose strips to try tonight 🙉

• Posted

I haven't tried it, but I say whatever works for you -  go for it! Having a decent nights  sleep really helps. For many menopausal women insomnia or frequent waking due to night sweats is one of the most difficult things and that lack of sleep can really affect quality of life.  I am on amitriptyline and I sleep like a log. Sleep through the night sweats too. I only know I have night sweats because they wake my hubby up and he tells me about them. He says 'you were soaking last night!'.  I went on amitriptyline because I had vulvodynia 4 years ago (it used to be used as an antianxiety drug but there are better ones now, so it is used now for its other effect which is to dampen down over active nerves associated with neuropathic pain). Anyway, amitriptyline also makes you sleep very well (it is taken before bedtime). I no longer have vulvodynia but because my body has adapted to the amitriptyline and I have no side effects my doctor said that now I am having night sweats I should stay on it because it will help with those. Maybe an unconventional way of ensuring sleep, but it works for me and, as my doctor says, my body is now used to the amitriptyline.

• Posted

We all have to realise there is no cure, but if we find something that works for us to get through it easier well keep at it. For me it's a personal thing, I'm not trying another antidepressant or pill and I can only do so much yoga in a day.

Thank you for your reply smile

• Posted

I've heard that marijuana does help menopause symptoms. I wish I could use it. But I work for a law enforcement agency and I am randomly drug tested. They just legalized it in my state and the dispensaries aren't even up and running yet. But we have already been told that even if we have a prescription, if we are tested and it's in our system you're fired. But I get it, because we operate automobiles and we CANNOT drive with marijuana in out system. Although Xanax, Valium, Ativan, and Klonopin and other benzos are fine as long as you have a current prescription. Lol! But when I retire, I plan to smoke it to help with anxiety, and aches and pains. But I will still exercise, and do all I can to keep healthy.

• Posted

That's too bad Juanita,

That was kind of my theory, it's ok to be put on several pills by the doctor, (I was given ativan,which made me spaced out)but marijuana, which is natural is still frowned upon. The antidepressants and ativan was making me worse.

I still am and always will still exercise, it's very important to stay healthy, but when you do all that and are losing it from anxiety and lack of sleep and prefer not to leave the house, something has to be tried.

• Posted

I agree. And it's not like you're just getting high for the heck of it! You are using this for medicinal purposes. Marijuana is a no no at my job, but I know co workers that drink, are on pain meds that make them high as a kite, and taking benzos,. But all that is okay(except for the alcohol). As long as you have that benzo script!biggrin 

When the Lord blesses me to retire, I hope to get rid of at least three medications I am taking by smoking marijuana. Currently I take an old school antidepressant/sleep aid called Trazodone. The newer antidepressants made me feel worse. I have Valium for the rough patches, but I only take it once or twice a week. I also take a multivitamin for women over 50, magnesium, fish oil, drink water, and after doing some research, I found that adding turmeric to your diet helps (it's a anti inflammatory and helps with anxiety). Talking to God and praying has been my biggest help. This forum has been so helpful!!!. It helps to talk with other ladies going through the same thing.

• Posted

My sister just started using this at night----  it helps her sleep and so much more!!
    • Posted

It has certainly helped with my sleep, and my anxiety is greatly reduced, which could be because I'm actually sleeping smile

• Posted

I think lack if sleep nay be a big factor in menopausal depression, anxiety and lethargy. After all, anyone of any age or gender can be affected in these ways by lack of sleep. Don't underestimate the benefits if a good nights sleep!

• Posted

I agree, lack of sleep affects everything else, getting sleep for anyone can improve many health problems.
  • Posted

Hi Samantha 

Just wondered how you are doing with the medical marijuana ? I’ve been taking it for a while now and never had a problem sends me right into a deep sleep . however I think it may be making my menopause symptoms worse ! I took a little chocolate at 5am to go back to sleep and had an awful day ... dizzy faint exhausted. 

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I gave up on it, it seemed to be helping at first but then stopped. I don't take anything at all now. I did have to switch jobs as I was at a desk job and the anxiety was killing me, I couldn't sit there. Now I have a physical job which wears off the anxiety pled tires me right out so I don't have anymore problems sleeping. Also I do Yoga every single day and that helps a lot too.

I know eating chocolate affects me, last night I had a chololate chip cookie before bed and my sleep wasn't as sound (sometimes I just want the chocolate and am willing to suffer the consiquences) ..so maybe using the chocolate form is counter acting then benifits of the pot.

• Posted

This is actually cannibis chocolate and it knocks you out and relieves anxiety .

Don’t know how you actually work I’m so ill i spend most days in bed and can’t leave the house due to fatigue panic dizziness. No life . 

• Posted

Im just wondering if the cannibas and chocolate mixture is what is causing you to feel anxious today, who knows I gave up trying to figure out it all. I'm 46 and in the 6th year, I've had really bad periods of anxiety, panic attacks and depression and some dizziness. The pot for a period of time did calm me down. I've figured out it seems to be mostly adrenaline rushes and keeping really really busy works best for me, if I sit I can tell Im anxious and also can't sleep well....I've figured it's best to just tire myself right out. I do have some periods I can relax and take advantage of those times.

I did take 6 months off of work last year, I felt the same as you....a mess and would get very emotional at times....it is getting better....or I've just got used to it and deal with it much better.

I hope you feel better soon, I know it's horrible sad

• Posted

Isn’t it awful when you have to get used to feeling that way?? It’s certainly a disability and needs to be recognized so! 

I admire your tenacity yesterday was an awful day for me so stuck the HRT patch on last night ... just had enough. I don’t know how you have the energy to just ‘keep going’ I have ‘crash’ days whereby I can do nothing at all but just wait for bed. 

I do workout a lot however and make myself do it but running feeling dizzy is no fun!

I made it to the Apple store today and a few shops so that was good . Still feel a bit ‘strange’ and a little dizzy .... hopefully this patch will set me straight ... it’s the weirdest feeling in the world . 

• Posted

I went through that last summer, it was horrible, felt sick to my stomach a lot, dizzy spells. I would say perimenopause has costs me 1000 of dollars, between taking time off work, changing to a lower paying job so I could cope. I do feel better this year. I just wish someone warned me that this can happen. I also had days that getting out of bed was hell, I still occasionally do, but way better than the last 6 years. I remember crying all day too, upset and sad over everything.

Push on, it does get better, very slowly, but it good days become more. We are tougher than we think.

• Posted

I know !!! Bloody acupuncture therapy and the extortionate prescription costs!

Yes you just lose that happy feeling ... I’d normally be happy just sitting at home watching tv having a glass of wine but now feel like the walls coming in on me . I’ve lost ME! Glad you are through the hard time I’ve heard you have to go through it to get better but I just couldn’t even make it to the supermarket so cheating with HRT I do hope it works as months are passing by and our time especially now is so valuable . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.