Medical mystery, any ideas would be appreciated

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, I am new here and in need of some help figuring out a medical mystery of mine. If you have any ideas or having a condition that sounds like what I'm describing I'd love to know so I can mention it to my neurologist as we are trying to figure this out.

I've always had weird flare up of neurological issues for years now. Each flare up is always the same but maybe with slight variations and different intensities. They usually last months. It's the worst it's ever been since February though and I'm at a loss.

So I always feel loopy, as if I'm drunk or high. Like I said it varies in intensity and on bad days my head feels really full, memory is terrible, tired, disoriented, and thinking becomes such a chore. In addition, I'll get these weird "dips" in consciousness is what I call it. The best way I can describe it is when you're extremely tired and dozing off while sitting up on the couch and you get that split second where you realize where you realize you've just dozed off and snap back to waking up again with that "whoosh" feeling. That, but my head doesn't drop or anything. Also on moderate to severe days I'll get what I call "sun spots" in my vision. They are exactly like if you were to look into the sun then look away and you have that missing piece in your vision. However, I get them without looking at any light source and they're yellow and orange. They only last a few seconds and I need to point out these are different from my migraine auras which are zigzag patterns that last upwards of an hour. Finally, and perhaps the scariest part that I've been really struggling with is I have these "attacks" randomly where literally out of nowhere I'm terrified...of nothing. I have no idea how to describe it, just sudden fear accompanied by light-headedness, shakiness, and the most intense feeling of the drunk/loopy feeling. Those at full peak last a few minutes but the lead up and cool down is maybe 30-40ish mins? I know these sound like panic attacks but I seriously don't think they are, they even will wake me from a dead sleep in the middle of the night. I've been evaluated by psychologists and actively see one and they too don't think it's panic attacks.

I've been keeping a log of my sleeping hours, what I eat, and how bad my symptoms were that day for the past couple months and one thing I have seemed to notice is that I'm more likely to have one of the "attacks" after I eat a meal, especially if I eat too much. Sounds funny, I know, but it is what it is. I've also noticed that if I have a more intense dream (since I actually dream every night), my day is typically worse and I'll actually wake up disoriented and confused for a while for the first part of my day.

Testing I've had:

• MRI (the one from 10 years ago was normal but that was before all this hit the fan. I had another MRI this October, 2021, haven't heard anything so I'm assuming it normal)
  • EEGs (Past EEGs have been normal, again before all this hit the fan but I do have another EEG tomorrow)
  • blood tests (normal, including ANA result of "negative at 1:80 titer)

Additional info:

• hearing loss in my left ear and tinnitus
  • migraines with visual aura
  • multiple headaches that tend to cluster together for a few days at a time

I'm not really good at explaining things and am extremely forgetful so please ask any questions.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.