Medical records.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, does anyone know anything about accessing one's medical notes from

Your local GP surgery. Don't have a passport or driving license so no photo ID.

Any other form of ID I can use?

Have had difficulties with communicating my care needs to my doctors as I felt I wasn't being

Heard by them, as they seem to be denying my symptoms. Worried that there

Are additional notes on the Summary Care Section suggesting I am a 'difficult

Patient'. If I remove myself from SCS All additional notes, other than just relating to medicine etc be removed too?.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

In my case I had to tell the surgery that I wanted to view my records on-line. They gave permission and allocated me a password.

I doubt if you will be able to view their 'difficult patient' comments.

• Posted

Can they actually write up things like that? Being considered a 'difficult patient?'. If that's the case, I presume they can only write that in the Summary Care Section? If that is so, if I take back permission for that part in my records would that remove any notes detrimental to my patient care from the doctors? Will just leave notes about appointments and medicines?

• Posted

You can Google for codes doctors use.

Hospital doctors may treat their patients with professional concern.

But privately they could well be summing them up as GLMs, FLKs or even TBPs. 

The initials are part of a code used by doctors to describe their patients to colleagues in sometimes unflattering terms.

For while a GLM is a ‘good looking mum’ who probably has GLL – ‘great looking legs’ – an FLK is a ‘funny looking kid’ while a TBP is a ‘total bloody pain’.

GROLIES, meanwhile, refers to a ‘Guardian reader of low intelligence in an ethnic skirt’.

An intoxicated man turning up in A&E might well have a UBI, or ‘unexplained beer injury’, and if he was particularly rude he might be a CLL or ‘complete low life’.

He claimed that staff would once write the code on medical records, but this was now less common as many patients want to see their own files.

• Posted

That's the trouble. I do not have any form of photo ID to gain permission to view these medical notes.

Have requested that, if I am not permitted to see these notes, would an advocate be able to review them and report back to me on them. Waiting for response. If that fails, I will request to be removed from the Summary Care Section which provides notes to any health professional needing to read up on a patient's medicine or medical history. Hopefully, if I remove that, then any doctor etc treating me won't have any disparaging notes on their computer screen with which to prejudice their assessment or treatment..? 

• Posted

This is from my GP's web site.

There is a new Central NHS Computer System called the Summary Care Record (SCR). It is an electronic record which contains information about the medicines you take, allergies you suffer from and any bad reactions to medicines you have had.

Why do I need a Summary Care Record? 

Storing information in one place makes it easier for healthcare staff to treat you in an emergency, or when your GP practice is closed.

This information could make a difference to how a doctor decides to care for you, for example which medicines they choose to prescribe for you.

Who can see it?

Only healthcare staff involved in your care can see your Summary Care Record.  How do I know if I have one?

Over half of the population of England now have a Summary Care Record. You can find out whether Summary Care Records have come to your area by looking at our interactive map or by asking your GP

Do I have to have one?

No, it is not compulsory. If you choose to opt out of the scheme, then you will need to complete a form and bring it along to the surgery. You can use the form at the foot of this page.

More Information

For further information visit the NHS Care records website or the HSCIC Website

• Posted

Yeah. That's what I've read. So thinking, if there are negative notes on my medical notes suggesting non treatment of serious conditions, then they are likely to be on here and the only notes that can be seen by doctors and other staff when going for a consultant in or seeing the GP. They would only be seeing those notes and any negative remarks would be written up there by doctors.

Thus my best plan of action is to remove myself from this, and my current GP practice and see if I can sign up for another one nearby. I can always keep a list of my medicines and any related information about them on my person should that prove necessary for medical emergencies...

• Posted

I know what you mean, mine is years ago now, but eventually got daughters medical files, I was described as neurotic mum as I sat and read files.

I had gone armed with current Dr's files and cat scans, just in case this is what i found, demanded to see old Dr straight away.

After a short wait, Dr huffing and puffing, and commenting she's wasting my time, I handed him daughters file, with the comment you had better take look at this cat scan, the silence was deafening, you failed to diagnose tumor, loudly so the whole waiting room could hear.

I gave him a lecture, in my best headmistress style, daughter laughs and tells me I am good at it, hopefully he learnt a lesson in listening to his patients.

My daughter had a brain tumor, it had been diagnosed as learning diffuculty, for years previous, until a new Dr asked her to stretch out her arms, close her eyes and touch her nose, she missed her nose, new Dr's face told its own story about what was wrong, CAT scan ordered immediately, and told its own story, they don't know what it is, just to dangerous, but it hasn't grown in years.

Tumor so deep they cannot do anything about it until the odds of it killing her weighted against the surgery killing her, so they have left it alone for now.

She is on the top of the list for sub-cellular laser surgery, when it become safe then they will burn out tumor.

• Posted

Noticed that if you are signed up to the Summary Care Section, this is where additional notes are made so that other health professionals can view them to clarify things speedily.

Thus, if I remove myself from this, then presumably those notes will go and all health professionals will see will be that information pertaining to my ailments. Nothing extra will be on there? That seems like a solution to this problem as I perceive it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.