Medical records - what they show/access?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, 

I'm hoping somoene may help me - I would like to know not what your medical records show if you ask to access them, but if they show who else has accessed them and when? I will explain - after having some time off from work I was notified by a colleague that my manager knew some things about whilst I was away from work - his partner works in the local hospital medical records department. I want to know if I request to see my records it will show who else has accessed them and when?

Many thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was on line at my surgary and logged in so I could access my records ,,but it only showed a list of my medication ,
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your input. I'm not sure if there are different types of access to medical records? Unfortunately my surgery doesnt provide online log in so would have to make a formal request to go and sit in the surgery/local hospital? and view them. I'm sure you get where I am coming from in that if it did happen it is a gross breach of trust, and abuse of someones relationship and position. It has affected my work so much I am leaving so wanted to know exactly where I stand!

Thank you 

• Posted

Jess, I am going to post a link but I'll also PM you because it might take a while to approve because it is Sunday.

You could also contact Citizens Advice

• Posted

The GP practice with which I am registered gave patients to their full records (including test results and comments) from Jan 2014 - although not retrospective. This resulted from the issue being raised on the PPG (Patients Participation Group)

My wellbeing has improved significantly  following the empowerment that online access has provided to me - and the practice has also benefitted (time saving).

The record does indeed provide an 'audit trail' of who has accessed the record - I can see who (including secretaries) they were accessed by, and the comments made by the person who accessed them (eg. a secretary to send me a reminder that an annual review for Type 2 Diabetes

My GP practice uses TPP SystmOne.

My understanding is that ALL GPs have the functionality to provide full access to the detailed record (including notes and test results) for any patient like me - the GP just needs to 'tick the boxes' in their system!

Perhaps mopre patients should be encouraged to 'tick the boxes' for them?#PatientPower

• Posted

Hi trevorF,

Thanks for your input, it is really helpful. I'm going to call my GP practice after they open tomorrow and ask them how I can view my records and what I will be able to see - I know I have to pay to do this hence asking on here first but I've found the responses really helpful!

I'm sure it will take a week or two to find out but I'll come back and let everyone know what the outcome is!

Thanks again

• Posted

As from April 2015, all GPs in England are required, as part of their contract with NHS England, to provide online access - free of charge - for booking appointments, ordering prescriptions and Summary record. From April 2016, they are required to also provide the full record.

As previously mentioned, however, ALL GPs now have the functionaality within their system to give full online access NOW - providing they 'tick the boxes' in your record.

In my view, digital records are more secure that paper redcords, as they provide an 'audit trail' of who has had a look at the record.

Many GPs already provode full access to patients - and thereby empower patients to be more engaged with their own wellbeing - even though there is not a requirement to do so. Online access to records significantly improves the safety of patients - I am on holiday currently in Jersey and have full access to my health record on my mobile phone,which I could easily share  in the event of any relapse or any health issues

If you use Twitter, I suggest that you look at #PatientOnline for updated information regarding online access to your health records. I also suggest that you ask your PPG what they have done to ensure that the GP practice is 'encouraged' to 'tick the boxes' to allow patients to have online access to their own 'full' health record.

• Posted

Jess, the answer to your question is 'it depends':

If your notes are in electronic form, anyone accessing them has to log in with their password, and their identity is recorded with the time and date of access.

If your notes are in paper form and are requested by a doctor, etc, then the request is recorded, but if they are in paper form and someone has physical access to them because they work in the department, then you are unlikely to obtain proof that your privacy has been breached except from the secondary evidence that someone has revealed something they could not possibly have known except by accessing your records. 

Your first port of call should be your union rep and/or legal assistance (Citiens Advice is a good place to start). The next will be enquiries to discover if your records are held in paper or electronic form, which will help your legal advisor know how to proceed. 

Wishing you all the best. 

:-)

• Posted

Hi, 

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who have responded to me on this - I have officially applied to view my records through my local hospital records bureau and I am waiting on an appointment time. I will come back and let you know how I got on (just in case anyone is interested!) If I do find my records have been accessed in the way I think they have, what I do about it will be the next decision!

Many thanks to all who contributed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.