Medical support

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi! Been on/off orlistat for 6 months & just looked on this site for some support. My GP gave me none - I was scared to death when the orange oil appeared!! GP just said orlistat prevented fat being digested so that its excreted with the waste. Nothing about needing to be on a low fat diet, nothing about side effects. My biggest problem is the SMELL of the oil. No-one seems to have mentioned this - does anyone else have it? I'm a teacher so can't be dashing off to the loo, nor working with an awful pong in my pants! Also, after an initial loss of 4lbs in the first week, theres been no further weightloss. Is anyone else finding that they don't really work? Any tips very welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hiya

When they say low fat it really has to be something around 10-15grams of fat per meal. I never go above that and if i do i never go anywhere near as much as 20 grams of fat.

Stick to fruit, veg, salady stuff and keep away from white bread (lots of hidden fats and sugar in there). That's about all i've been doing and have not had a single accident yet (touch wood).

As for the actual weight loss the exercise is really really important. 30 mins a day at first then push it up to an hour. Cardio is supposed to be good for fat burning. Usually i just get on my exercise bike and watch an episode of life on mars or something which gives me just under an hours workout.

Oh and water is a must, as you exercise you lose water as you sweat so you need to keep your body topped up with at least 8 glasses a day (if you can manage it). If your body becomes dehydrated it will slow your metabolism down.

hope all this waffle helps smile and good luck

E

• Posted

Hi MissE.

Thanks for your reply. I'm doing Slimming World diet & walking/cycling an hour a day as well as taking Orlistat. I didn't know about the 10 - 15g of fat per meal limit, but seem to be under that on this diet; nor about the importance of water. No way can I drink that much as I'm on diuretics & have virtually no toilet breaks - in reality - as a teacher. Lost 2lbs last week although I didn't do anything different - the first loss for months. Still get the uncontrollable oil & pong, so have to be selective about when I take orlistat - no good with lunch at work, & I have a fat-free breakfast.

I REALLY need to lose this weight - 3 stone - for surgery to relieve constant pain from severe divarication of the recti, so any tips from anywhere are very welcome. sad

• Posted

Hi,

I actually got these tablets from boots and they were really really good help.

You must take a tablet with every main meal no matter how low in fat you think it is. If you keep between 10 g - 15g of fat per meal you should not get any problems. I have never went over this or cheated and has no problem.

If you do go over this you will obviously need to go to the toilet. It amazes me how some people think this is a miriacle pill and you can eat what you want that is rubbish.

I don't think dieting with say weightwatchers helps as they are all about points or their own diet regime.

I diet using my own fat count and it has worked for me.

Good luck out there

• Posted

PS the fat count is 10g -15g of full fat per meal not per satuated fat.

It is amazing if you look on alot of lables how for eg beans are not high in fat try it lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.