Medical Test Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a lot of anxiety about medical tests.  The test itself is one thing but the waiting for results is terrifying to me. I have coming up in the next 5-6 weeks a mammogram, a pap smear and a colonoscopy. I am most scared of the colonoscopy because I never had one.  Any words of advice or kindness is appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Try too stay calm easier said than done I know and just think positive. Hvae you tried mediation or anything like that? I have health anxiety and constantly worry about tests but I worry more about the results but as I try and look at it if there is anything wrong which I doubt there is I would rather know and get it sorted. Im sure all will be okay. Take care 
  • Posted

All of those tests if something is sinister they will call you within 48hrs and colonscopy immediate so you know. Im sure youre  fine they are standard tests.  As for the colonoscopy i have dodged this one myself hahah the prep is draining.you will drop a few pounds haha they clean you quit well.it is a very importantbthing though.. i have had many many endoscopies but for those you dont have to poop out everything in your body.

you are going to be fine. These are preventative tests so you stay healthy and have a long life.

• Posted

colonoscopies itself is easy, they knock you out and you rememeber nothing. they give you warm blanket if you are cold. the hard part if the prep. they make you drink stuff; stay very close to a toilet for two days and follow drs orders.

have fun! i just had mine. good to go for ten years!  wootwhoot!  try not to worry, i was worried and it was a waist of energy. they can give you meds to calm you, if you need it, but you will need a ride home if you do. I like to go do somehting after appts, you can't if you are medicated. 

Try not to worry.

• Posted

Yes I am hoping for a long break between the next one and this one! My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 48 so they have the children go in 10 years prior to the diagnosis, so I am 39 and I am getting my first one. I am happy about how they give you results directly afterwards, my sister had one at age 24 because she had a symptom (turned out to be hemmoriods!! LOL) but if she did it I can do it!  I supposed I should be glad I am getting it for preventative reasons and not because there is an issue.  POSITIVE THINKING!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.