Medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys what do you think the best medication is to deal with social anxiety, General anxeity and depression. Somthing to bring me back to my own self and be confident taking on challenges/fears I would normally avoid. I also have a job interview tomorow is there anything that will work Alamost instantly ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey David, I'm currently taking propanolol for my anxiety symptoms. It has been working for me okay.

Though I have heard a lot of people talk about xanax and ativan, but to me those just make me really tired.

I also take hydroxyzine when needed, but that's also another one that makes me really sleepy.

Good luck with finding something and I hope you feel better soon. xoxo

• Posted

I've always been helped greatly by an antidepressant. It takes several weeks for it to level out and it can heighten anxiety before it lessens it. When it starts working it is so worth it to go through the bad patch! I've never taken any of the fast acting anxiety meds because of my family history with addiction and the fact that they're easy to become dependent on. I also am working with a therapist again. The combination of meds and therapy help me be "me"
  • Posted

Alprazolam Works in about 15 to 30 minutes. It has gotton me through some rough times. I would not use it daily unless necessary. I had to for quite awhile. Now I am gong to start cutting my doses,gradually taper off then just use it occasionally,at least thats the plan.

• Posted

You can get a low dose of it. I believe it starts at 0.25. I take 0.5.
  • Posted

Beta blockers work within about 1 hour, they deal with the physical symptoms well which helps a lot of people to get a hold on the psychological ones, they can't help with the fear you may feel but eliminating physical symptoms often leads to a reduction of fear and anxiety of the 'mind'.

Benzodiazepines work to reduce anxiety, they are effective, they vary in how long they take to work, some times are faster acting than others, some stay in the body for longer than others too but they are extremely addictive and not for long term use, 3-4 weeks is about the limit before you should withdraw slowly, I have been on the benzo diazepam for 17 years, it does nothing now and I would advise against long term use, some doctors are hesistant to prescribe these,others will happily do so.

Antidepressants take longer to work and you may feel worse before you feel better but most people find them very effective and although you must never stop suddenly they are suitable for longer term use.

Those are your options for medication, speak to your doctor and do your own research, I don't mean google every horror story of course but use genuine medical based websites to gain factual information before you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.