Medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

I don't think I can fight anxiety by myself anymore. Which medications do people find most useful. My anxiety goes hand in hand with OCD.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Medication varies from person to person.. What works for some may not work for others. I have bad OCD myself which causes anxiety. I've tried citalopram (celexa) and tjay was a nightmare personally for me. But for some it works. I have klonopin and Valium to take "as needed" which I use very sparingly. I myself am terrified of meds. They help a lot of people but the unfortunate party is that you have to find which one works right for you which can be a lot of trial and error..
  • Posted

Hello. I have struggled with severe anxiety for about 2 years. I think it started due to life events, but ended up being a physiological thing - I had severe adrenaline rushes every day, worst in the morning and very slowly decreasing as the day went on. I used valium for a while but personally would not recommend it (it works in the short term but makes things worse after a while as you grow tolerant to it). I have also been non-tolerant to SSRIs like citalopram (I tried several and they made me more anxious). A month ago I started on lyrica (pregabalin) and it has been amazing; I feel like a different person. Admittedly I only have one month experience of it, but I would have to recommend it - I have almost no anxiety now after being afraid to leave my house before I started it. I hope this helps. Best wishes to you.
  • Posted

Get into therapy and have the ohyschiatrist deciede what he/she feels is best for you. The same way you go to the regular doc for an infection is the same you need to go to a psychiatrist for exam sort a speak.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. I'm currently in the doctors waiting room waiting g for my appointment. I'm scared because th y always make me feel I'm being neurotic and I should be better at coping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.