Medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just wondered if anyone has mild RA and what medication works for them. I know everyone is different and responds differently but wondered if anyone had any good experiences and bad! Please note i know my reaumy wouldnt give me any type of biologic as my RA is mild and not bad enough! I'm 34 and diagnosed last year. Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Emily:  I have had mild RA for 15 years. It started when I was 55. For the first three years I was on hydroxychloroquine each day and mobic when needed. I had no side effects except I have to have an opthomology exam once a year because of the hydroxychloroquine but have had no adverse problems. Then, because I was having flareups every couple of months, he also put me on methotrexate, 12 pills every Thursday. I know several on this website have said they had difficulties with MTX, but I have not had any side effects from it. During the last 10+ years, I have gradually reduced my MTX intake to only 3 pills per week by taking at least 1,000 mg of turmeric every day (there is actual research on this) plus eating a reasonably good diet. So far so good. I also throw in some pineapple juice and/or cherry juice each day for inflammation. My inflammation numbers are now low. But even so I get a flareup about once per year. 

As for biologics, I would have to be in really extreme shape to consider taking those. They are rough on the body, so the tradeoff has to be considered.

My GP said that of all his patients I am the most likely to reach 100 years old (I hope I am not drooling by then :-) ) That is because the disease forces me to take better care of myself. We'll see what time brings.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hello. I'm having a bit of phone troubles so I apologize if this has posted twice. How soon did you notice changes when taking Tumeric? What kind of changes did you notice? I just started Tumeric a week ago. Excited to hear more about your Tumeric success.

• Posted

The benefit of the turmeric became noticeable after a couple of weeks. I have taken turmeric for 5 or 6 years now and I really feel it helps. BTW, when I sweat, I get a faint odor of turmeric which tells me that the level in my body is high. Turmeric is also beneficial to the liver, a good thing since it is busy processing mtx. I remember telling my rheumatologist about it and he barely looked up and said, "um hm" and went on. But as time passed he saw that my inflammation was down and that I reduced my mtx to 1/4 of what I was taking with no adverse affects and began to work with me. Google the research on this.

• Posted

I'm mild too.  I take hydroxychloroquine daily, and MTX by injection once a week.  I had some medium strength nausea on shot day for the MTX, but nothing major.  I feel I tolerated it well.  I went off it a few months ago since I'm planning a pregnancy, and I'm still doing mostly ok on just the plaquenil.  Overall I feel I am well managed and I'm glad I don't need the heavy duty biologics yet.  Maybe never!  Fingers crossed.  Good luck to you, I hope you get good results on milder stuff.  

• Posted

Hi! I too have mild RA. I started on methotrexate and still works for me. Doc always says I have no or very little inflammation. I also take hydroxychloriquine. I've had more trouble the last few months than ever, but apparently it is because of fibromyalgia. I started taking Tumeric last week as well. It is nice to read someone's success with Tumeric on this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.