Medication

Posted , 10 users are following.

Today I have been prescribed campranol to help with my addiction it is the first time doctor has been willing to help after many failed detox and a sudden relapse fingers crossed it works has anybody else tried this

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I’m assuming you mean campral (acamprosate ). Yes I took it and would thoroughly recommend it. Taken correctly, 3 x daily without alcohol does stop cravings. Takes about a week to kick in.
  • Posted

Good luck, fingers crossed it works for you xx
  • Posted

Yes, I have taken this medication as well and it does work well.

The only thing I didn't like about it was you have to take so many pills so many times a day...but take it and you will notice that at times you "forget" about alcohol altogether its a really strange feeling.

I did not have any negative effects from this drug..only that I didn't want to take the pill 3x a day and I think I was taking 3 pills at a time.  I talked to my Dr about it at the time and she told me if only taking it 1-2 times a day still worked for me that it was ok with her that I adjusted it.

So I did take it for a while a couple times a day when I thought about it and it worked.  However, I stopped it because I decided I wanted to have a couple drinks...I didn't have "cravings" of the physical sense because the pill was working...like when I thought of drinking my heart didn't start pounding and I didn't feel driven to get to the liquor store immediately like I would have without the pill....

But, I just had an emotional thought that I wanted to drink...you don't get sick if you drink while taking this drug...So the day I decided to drink...I just drank...and then I stopped taking the pill altogether and then you know how the story goes....my drinking took off again to levels of insanity.

Its been a few days that you have been on this pill. Are you noticing a change in your obsessions or cravings?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.