Medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

CT showed 7mm stone stuck in the UV junction with moderate/severe hydronephrosis, Doctor said needed appointment with Urologist STAT....well STAT is two days away and 50 miles away.  No antibiotic or pain medication, is this the norm nowadays?  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Not the norm at all especially since you can't be seen immediately. Either call the doctor back about getting pain meds until your appointment or you might need to visit the ER if the pain is too much. I'm shocked he gave you nothing.

• Posted

Recently, I had a 9mm stone impacted in the distal part of the ureter, and I also had severe hydronephrosis, and I waited over 2 weeks to get an appt. with the Urologist I wanted to see, and I wasn't given an pain medication until after I had surgery. And I was given an antibiotic by IV, right before I was taken into the operating room. And I had to have 2 surgeries before he could blast the stone. But during the first surgery, he put a stent in so the urine could get out of the kidney and go thru the ureter. That stent stayed in for 7 1/2 weeks, because that's how busy he was - I had to wait that length of time for the 2nd surgery. So I don't know if this is the norm, but that's what happened to me. Good luck to you.    

• Posted

Thank you for responding.  I'm not new to kidney stones by any means, and have dealt with them for years.   It's been about a year that I had to go to the doctor and was perplexed about the change in treatment and wondered if things have changed with the increasing  opioid  crisis.  Two weeks...you're a trooper.

• Posted

Hi Gracie,

I'm not a trooper!  LOL  It's just that I didn't know any better at the time. I've learned a lot from this group. I'm in my 70's, and it was the first time I ever had a kidney stone, and I sure don't want another one. How have you been able to deal with them for years?

Barb 

• Posted

What is STAT?  I would not have thought it was normal to have no antibiotic or pain meds.

I was diagnosed with a kidney stone a year ago.Had recurrent UTIs for which I was always given antibiotics and pain meds from the beginning. Recently had stones removed and feeling better. Hope you have more luck with Urologists than I had. I was referred to 4 different Urologists over the year before one actually agreed to  operate and sort me out. I was a complicated case because I have horseshoe kidneys (they are joined together). Eventually I was done at Southmead in Bristol which is 70 miles away..

Good luck with all this. Do take care and keep in touch. Ask for those pain meds.

Sarah xx

• Posted

STAT is immediately.  Finally after three phone calls and ten hours later the doctor called an antibiotic and a medication to dilate the ureters. Evidently there was an incidental finding of pericardial effusion and I have a complicated health history with compound pharmaceuticals  so he was trying to be cautious.  
  • Posted

Wow, some of these stories astound me! At the least, you should have pain meds to get you by until your appointment. It's their job to help you, which includes keeping you comfortable. Get those meds!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.