Medication advice.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

A bit of background before I go on yo ask my question.

Had a needleprick injury at work and got myself in a anxious mess while waiting for results. Doc gave me Citalopram which I stuck at for 8 weeks until I couldn't take no more. It sent my anxiety through the roof and I felt extremely out of control.

I was then prescribed Mirtazapine.

I'm coming up to 8 weeks on it.

1 week on 15mg

4 week on 30mg

3 week on 45mg

It has helped very much with anxiety. That's almost gone. It helps me sleep and my appetite has improved a little.

My question is.....

When should I expect a lift in my mood?

When should normal thinking resume?

When do focus and concentration return?

The anxiety and the severity of it dragged me into depression and I feel very detached and find it very hard to focus and concentrate.

My doctor said that the improvements so far are great but it could take months for everything else to return to normal.

Id just like your thoughts on wether you feel that these things should be back to normal now and your own experiences with medication and how things went for you.

Thankyou xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is different for all of us Gillian.  I am not sure that any of us can say for certainty when normal thinking will resume for you, along with a lifting of mood and concentration.  It will probably be a gradual thing.  As your doctor says, it could take months. 

Personally as someone who has suffered with depression for over 20 years I cannot really give a definite answer to your question.

I did stop taking medication last year, and as yet have not had a return of symptoms, although I do get anxiety from time to time.  Doctors recommend that you take anti depressants for a minimum of six months.

Only you will know when you are feeling better.  Hopefully one day you will realise that it is all in the past for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

So glad your feeling better. I can't really advise you here as I'm not on meds, I was also put on citalopram and couldn't take it so came off them. Made me feel so much worse. I was then prescribed another SSRI (sertraline) but I havnt taken it as to afraid and I've heard some horror stories. Is mertazapine a SSRI also?? How did it make you feel when you first took it? Anything like the citalopram did?? Perhaps I could also try this is you feel so much better x
    • Posted

No Cara. a totally different experience altogether. For a start they help sleep which due to anxiety I wasn't getting much of. 

On Citalopram this time I felt totally out of it,crazy,anxious,couldn't sit still.

Ive taken it years ago and it didn't have that effect.

Mirtazapine zonked me out for the first few weeks of taking it but I think I needed it because my body had been wired for 8 week on Cit. 

Some people can't cope with the initial drowsiness but I didn't mind it.

The lower the dose,the more sedative it is apparently. I have to say,I'm not half as drowsy on the higher dose but it still helps me sleep xxx

• Posted

Hi Gillian, Martazapine as an anti depressant sounds like is starting to have some great effects if your anxiety is under control and sleep, appetite better all of which will start to improve your concentration, thinking and mood.

i tend to find from experience my anxiety reduces so my mood starts to improve then my concentration improves, the normal thinking starts to creep back. It doesn't really come back in any order but if the anxiety is going then your depression must also be lifting your probably not noticing the difference as it's not a significant jump but I found after my anxiety was under control the others returned quite quickly. I'd find I'd not been thinking about my condition for a few minutes and was absorbed by something on TV, and my ability to rationales was much easier, and over a period of a few weeks I'd find I was thinking far less of my condition than thinking about it. 

biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.