Medication advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have joined a new gp surgery and have an appointment tomorrow as my anxiety is very bad. I'm really hoping the new GP will help. I'm thinking of asking about sertrapline, I have previously been on citalopram and fluoxitine but not sure how much they helped, really want something that is going to really sort this out once and for all but I'm really worried about the side effects and if I will cope with them, or even if this medication will definitely work or not?

I'm really trying to help my self, going jogging, eating heathy, taking vit b and fish oil but feel like I need some medication too.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny

I just been to doc with anxiety issues they gave me paroxetine only took a couple so not seen any real effect but will keep you updated !

• Posted

Hi jenny,I am also an anxiety sufferer ! I am on propranalol 80 mg x a day.I also take rescue remedy. Health food shops are very helpful with anxiety! I also have reflexology and aromatherapy twice a month. This keeps me going.hope this helps you.regards Amanda
  • Posted

hi jenny. my guess is that most anti-depressant/anti anxiety SSRI's meds work differently for each person. our bio-chemical make up is a different as our facial features. so it's usually a case of try and see how it goes for u after a good chat with your new GP. they sometimes like to get to know u first before prescribing such meds., so have your thoughts clear just in case.

u are doing all the right things with positive/healthy life style changes etc. i'm wondering if you're having any counselling or CBT input alongside the potential medication. they work best together. u can self-refer to IATP (Increased Access to Psychological Therapies). just google your local head quarters & tell them that u need counselling. the waiting list varies from region to region in the UK.

all good luck with your motivated hard work. hope it goes very well for u.

Caitlin

• Posted

Thanks for your replies, not sure I have heard of praxoetine? Have tried proprananol when I was bad before but it didn't really help but I was taking it when I felt very panicky so maybe if I took it on a daily basis? Never tried reflexology or aromatherapy but would be willing if I has good success rates. have had CBT, think it helped a bit but the anxiety has come back much worse. Just desperate to get rid of this terrible condition. Also fed up of people telling me to 'look on the bright side' I so want to be happy :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.