Medication after Tkr

Posted , 10 users are following.

My Tkr op was 7 weeks ago, since then I've been on various medications. At first liquid morphine then Naproxen, Tramadol & extra strong paracetamol . My knee is stil painful stiff & hot.though not so intense, I can get 105 rom. I'm wondering if I should try lessen painkillers as I hate being on them, like just take Ibuprofen. If not I will have to go back to the doctor for prescription only drugs. When did other folk come off the strong stuff ?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just read an article on internet, published in the british Medical Journal (so it says) which says taht Ibuprofen can cause heart attack and stroke. . . So difficult to know what's best these days!

• Posted

Martin my daughter is highly upset that I am taking it. She says it is the silent killer and if you even take one tablet a month you increase your risk for stroke. I have GERD though and Ibuprofen is the only OTC anti-inflammatory I can handle. Dr prescribed Celebrex even though he knows I am a migraine sufferer so I can't take it. Most people swear by it though and my pt suggested it too.

• Posted

Hope it doesn't make your migraine flare up . . the knee is more than enough to contend with isn't it!~

• Posted

Holy Cow and how! This has been brutal (and ongoing)! I am going to cross my fingers and try it in the morning. Decided against tonight to start. I already have enough to deal with at night! Sending you good vibes☺️
    • Posted

Mills,

Having Gerd and migraines makes balancing pain meds even more difficult.      I have eight hours a day with no pain meds (13 days since TKR) because of these issues.  I had a stomach ulcer in the past and now have a hiatus hernia.  I really need help from someone when it comes to these issues.  I go to physio for the first time tomorrow.  I wonder how I am suppose to do exercises when 1/3 of my day is spent in pain.  I hope you do get some relief.  

• Posted

Hi Eileen

I was on on Oromorph in hospital, along with paracetamol & gabapentin.

On discharge went back to CoCodamol & Naproxen, which I have taken since the pain of arthritis got me! I need it still as the right knee still needs TKR.

They did put me on a Morphine infuser pump in hospital, but asked to come off it as it made me really bad!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I have a lot of trouble sleeping. By the time I get ready for bed my knee is throbbing. I find if I move in some ways that I get a screaming pain right down to my ankle.  During the day if I am uncomfortable I take naproxen. However at night I take oxycodone and am able to rest comfortably.  So I guess it depends on the person. I am 12 weeks post op TKR . I walk and ride my stationary bike and have very good ROM.
    • Posted

Yes Ellen my main trouble is knee throbb at night. I can't wait till I can get a few good nights in, I'm in my 8th week now I was hoping by 12 I'd be pretty much on the straight & narrow as the info the hospital gave me said I could Hoover , make beds do shopping even mow lawn. Do you find you can do all this now x

• Posted

Just spoke with pharmacist. He says I should try to take the Celebrex - much safer than ibuprofen!

I am a little shocked. We tend to think of over the counter as "safe" but like Martin said, and my daughter Ibuprofen is not as safe as people think.

Starting it late today (I already took Ibuprofen this morning). Please keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't mess with my migraines.

• Posted

I never ever got on with ibuprofen, haven't taken it in years!

I hope your healing goes well.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.