Medication for BHP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Finally saw my doctor today and after examination decided medication be tried before any other treatment. Tamsulosin prescribed with follow up appointment in six weeks.

What effects can I expect?

What timescale to feel benefits?

All comments gratefully received I'm a complete novice regarding prostate problems.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Whilst I know that some on this forum had a bad time with Tamsulosin, I found it good. I got good flow after having to sqeeze like mad and going every hour or two.

I used it for years. I didn't notice any adverse side-effects (doesn't mean there weren't any). 

But eventually it wasn't enough and I got a HoLEP bore-out about 15 months ago and that's fine now.

• Posted

I was on that med for over a yr.  it worked good for me.  My problem was when to take it was an issue.  When I first started taking it made me feel kinda funny. I tried taking at night, but you are suppose to take like 30 min. after eating.  That was a problem.  I did best taking in the morning 30 mins. after breakfast and that worked best.  It worked for me, went three days without, due to a switch over (mail order) and I was heading in the wrong way.  Could not go.  So good luck.  I then had turp, no more meds.
  • Posted

I took this for a short time and it did improve the flow quite quickly.  The urologist didn't look too carefully at my blood pressure meds though so I got bouts of low blood pressure and heart papitations.  This does reduce your BP so other meds may need to be adjusted. I also had some reverse ejaculation initially too.  Stopped it after about 5 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.