Medication for graves/hyper anxiety and lack of sleep etc

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ive had graves/hyperthyroidism for 15 months and was given carbimazole which eventually got my levels within range but though ive told my gps at every appointment about the anxiousness lack of sleep and pounding heart ive never been offered any medication for those particular symptoms ..is this common

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hmm, 

Can’t be of great help as I am 6 weeks to the day from starting meds for hyperthyroid/ Graves’ disease.... get blood results tomorrow. But my dr. Did  put me on Atenenol 50 mg right away for the pounding  heart along with Carbimazole 

• Posted

My Endo put me on Propranolol 10 mg immediately for the fast heart rate even before she finished investigations for hyperthyroidism.  Once I was put on Methimazole,to treat the hyperthyroidism I only had to use Propranolol occasionally.  I was, however, treated with an old antidepressant called Tofranil years ago for depression and a sleep disorder.  I only take a sub-therapeutic dose of one 25 mg tablet now to ensure good sleep.  It increased my REM sleep as well.  Were you having any particular stress before you were diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism?  I did have a lot of stress with an abusive co-worker and I am sure this contributed to my getting this disease.  This particular antidepressant has a sedating effect without being addictive and on low doses, most of the side effects are avoided.
  • Posted

I get so fed up telling my GP the symptoms of anxiety, lack of sleep and dizziness. Apparently my levels are normal after 17months of Carbimazole . Last time I spoke to GP I was told she couldn't answer my questions and to speak to hospital next time I go!!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.