medication for physical symptoms

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can anyone recommend a drug that is really effective for the physical symptoms of anxiety? In a way I can cope with the mental aspects but I am plagued by creeping, burning, on-fire skin and restless legs, it's like being plugged into an electrical socket all the time. Unless I'm actually physically active (and I can't be all day, it's exhausting) this sensation drives me crazy... the only relief is self-harm which I really try not to do. Any tried-and-tested remedy out there?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I take Alprazolam.  Very low dose several times a day if needed.  I had dozens of tests for my "pain" and anxiety including the b and d vitamins, etc.  After being on many many different meds, this is the only one that has helped.  Its not a cure and doesn't take it away completely, but it has turned my life around.  I went from attempting suicide twice to actually enjoying life now. 
    • Posted

Thank you annie. I see that you should avoid alcohol with this medication, and I just couldn't give up my wine-with-dinner – such a huge pleasure for me that life without would be even more miserable.

The other good thing about this thread is that I realise I'm not the only one – I had never heard of anyone else with buzzy, burning skin and feel pretty alone. My GP is very nice but struggles to understand anxiety and panic, she's so calm herself! She did say I needed counselling and referred me, but after three cancelled appointments all I got was a sort of triage person who ascertained I'm not actually suicidal, said yes I do need counselling, but the waiting lists were closed so she was "discharging" me, and sent me away with no treatment and no hope. Can you imagine if they took that attitude with diabetes or something?!!

• Posted

I also have burning skin, my arms burn every morning when I wake up and sometimes throughout the day when I'm really tensing. I also have tingling in my hands and feet and right shoulder pain and muscle tension everyday from holding my up. I can't seem to relax at all. Every time I notice my shoulder is up and tensed I try to relax and it automatically goes right back up tensed like it feels normal to me. I'm ready to rip my arm offsad I also have miscle twitches everywhere hey seemed to have calmed down some but instill get them every now and then they are just annoying. It's hard to think anxiety can do all this it feels horrible
    • Posted

Yes it does feel absolutely horrible and I too want to rip my arms off. Sometimes I try, I scrape my nails along my skin but of course it doesn't stop it, just distracts me a bit You also reminded me abut the muscle twitches – I'd forgotten them! I only notice them at night, when I wake up I can feel little random tics like fireworks going off all up and down my legs. I do gently massage nivea into my legs and arms before I go to sleep, that does help both restless legs and this muscle twitching – I don't rub it right in, just leave it so it feels cool (someone on a walking holiday recommended this method to me and it does help). I suppose I am so grateful that I don't have massive panic attacks any more (just small ones!) and am happy out of the house and in supermarkets and cinemas and most situations – just can't cope with tubes, lifts, buses sometimes, restaurants, open countryside... bother, way to go yet!
  • Posted

i had these for a month in severe intensity . I take half ladose a day i used to take an antiepileptic pill and 2 xanax to get to sleep i am a lot better and hope it lasts . i stopped work and worrying too much i pursued myself i will get better and sleeped hugging with a friend i love for some days . it helped me so much . sometimes we have to ask for help and love from people we love and also would help if they were having problems.

Take care and hope you recover soon. It will pass !

• Posted

Well, I've just seen my GP and she's prescribed sertraline so I'll give that a go. She's also booked me in for complete blood tests including vit B12 which is sensible. But I'm sure it's chronic anxiety. As she kindly pointed out, it's an illness same as a physical one, and sometimes we have to resort to medication.
    • Posted

medication really helped me it took 3-4 weeks to see big changes though .hope you get completely good soon. i am in the try too. best of luck ! 

• Posted

Sounds like you have a good doctor, I hope things now improve for you smile
    • Posted

She is very good – and nice – but I think I deserve one after about 30 years of awful and sometimes criminal GPs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.