Medication for thyrotoxicosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking carbimazole and propranolol for a week, yesterday I slept in and as a result was late taking my meds by 4hrs. I felt TERRIBLE all day, and was shaking far more than is usual for me, I even had an 'impressive' episode of my head and whole body shaking violently for 30 seconds or so, afterwards I felt awful and slept more than usual. Has this happened to anyone else, and do you think it's because I was late with my meds?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi hope your feelig a bit better.. wheni first started on carbimazole i felt terrible for about 6 weeks, i found that taking it early morning and not eating  was best for me..

I have never had violent shaking though.. tremmors yes, but never a violent episode. i think maybe you should inform your endo or doctor if your having a reaction like that.. 

keep us posted on how you get on..

T :-)

• Posted

Thanks, I usually take my morning meds before I get out of bed and my night time ones as I'm getting into bed!

I think it happened because I was late taking my meds, I wondered if this had happened to anyone else.

I also find my shakes are worse in the morning when I get up, which isn't ideal. I'm off work still the moment so it doesn't really matter too much but I'm worried about when I go back to work as I do 12 hr shifts starting at 7am.

• Posted

I have only just been diagnosed and have been taking Carbimazole for a few days. I was late with my first dose (of three) today and have been shaky and feeling weird all day. Your post has made me think maybe I have to be more religious about the timing of the drugs.
  • Posted

May I ask you all as to your TSH readings please?

I have HYPO thyroidism or maybe hashimotos so a slightly different perspective but I am alarmed by what you are saying.... and about this drug.

Have you tried taking raw cruciferous veg?

Apparently eating loads of raw broccoli..otherwise a great anti-oxidant...and delicious with hummus....and other stuff like raw cabbage, spinage and kale eg in green smoothies... can get hyperthyroidism completely under control !!  You're so lucky...you won't then need to take drugs...I need to take thyroxin at the mo.

To have such extreme symptoms is not ok. I wonder if you were to try this for a week and keep a journal of how you feel you could report back to your GPs? 

They would be delighted if you could get things under control through diet and lifestyle changes...their first perogative...but most GPs give up on natural health advice or don't know about it as untrained in nutrition...and as patients demand to pop a pill. Be your GP's pet and surprise them !!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe try it?

Large doses of yummy green veg raw can make you feel so great in many ways....i've had to stop eating them....as my thyroid became underactive..as you're WANTING to achieve....so wish me luck on my journey to increase my thyroxin....so we can met half way in the middle ....!!?  Me with raised thyroxin (my TSH is 5.1...it should be below 1...what are yours?) you guys with lowered thyroxin??? Is that your objective ?

Either way trying raw green veg can be no bad thing for you...why not try it? I really don't think you should be going through those symptoms....surely they are worse than the original condition? What did you suffer from before? My father had hyperthyroidism.

Love marey xxxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.