Medication ibs-d

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, sufferer from ibs d for 9 years - was on amitryptyline various doses 10, 20, 30 for most of those 9 years with the use of probiotic tablets, either way they stopped working or didn't help as much as they used to so I came off them in February and didn't see a change in symptoms so was proof they weren't having an effect.

I've had a colonoscopy this month that has ruled everything else out, so now it's 100% ibs-d I have a follow up doctors appointmnent tomorrow, is there any medicine I should push to try or ask for?

My symptoms are purely diahorrea, mainly in the mornings (can be 10+ trips to loo) sometimes 4-5 mornings a week and wind most evenings regardless of what I eat.

No constipation, rarely bloating, no nausea or any other symptoms.

I've tried buscopan, colpermin, probiotics, peppermint capsules, peppermint tea, vitamin d, calcium and a FODMAP diet before anyone says to try them some I'm purely after advice on prescription medicines, i also occasionally use imodium.

Thank you!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dorset87, I have just started taking IBGard which is an antispasmodic OTC. I found it on the web. It has wonderful reviews.

My symptoms are not typicqal as there is no pain what-so-ever. However, I usually have to go several times all morning, at least, which is horrible for my quality of life. My stools are never diarrhea, sometimes very hard, sometimes normal in consistency. I'm hoping I can get some relief with this supplement. I don't take anything for IBS, but am on a bunch of other meds for anxiety and depression.

• Posted

Thank you, have you discussed with a dr your ibs symptoms? I also have no pain at all which match your symptoms. My stools aren't always runny either

• Posted

I guess I've told several doctors who really don't seem to care. I'm ready to give up. Up st 4 am to go and then lying in bed shaking until I'm forced to get up around 6. It's all so discouraging. Yesterday, my bottom felt different and I thought that IBGard was working. I will see what the rest of the day turns out like. I took one of those pills at about 5:45 am. I'm so sick of this, I just can't stand it.

• Posted

You can get the Imodium on prescription if that would be cheaper? You could also ask for something called normocol. Its a soluble fibre that bulks up the stool so you dont have diarrhoea as much. It is prescription only and very effective.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.