Medication options

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

My mum has suffered from RLS for many years and she has been taking a medication called Siffrol for about 5 years to help - dose 125mg. It is no longer as effective as it used to be and I was hoping others might be able to point me in the direction of what medication is best used and tolerated to treat RLS?

Thank you 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Amanda

There might be a non-drug alternative.  I suggest you search this forum for references to FODMAP    FODMAP is a diet developed by Monash Universirty for IBS patients.    I, and a few others,  have found that it brings relief to some RLS patients.    It only takes  a few weeks (maybe 12) to know if its going to help you.  It costs nothing more than eating and no drugs,     It really is worth a try.    If you read existing stuff from this forum you will know a lot and if you want more give me a shout via this forum and I will share what I know. Get your doctors help or find a good dietician to help you

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I am a new patient in the RLS saga. My GP had no hesitation in putting me on Ropinirol. I am taking 2.5mg at the moment. I understand that 4mg is the max dose. I have found it really helpful in reducing my twitches and I will be seeing my GP for review soon. I am also taking Mg and Fe supplements occassionaly

Nic

• Posted

HI Amanda    I was told to take barley grass powder I have just started but another lady said her husband took it and it stopped so look it up I believe it was supreme barley grass but there are different products    or magneisum high potency is what someone has told me just started that also  
  • Posted

Hi Amanda,

Certain lifestyle changes and activities that may reduce symptoms in persons with mild to moderate symptoms include decreased use of caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco; supplements to correct deficiencies in iron, folate, and magnesium; changing or maintaining a regular sleep pattern; a program of moderate exercise; and massaging the legs, taking a hot bath, or using a heating pad or ice pack.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved ropinirole, pramipexole, and rotigotine to treat moderate to severe RLS.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I will be reviewing my treatment with GP soon. I expect that supplements will take a while to have an effect. Things should be clearer by end of Nov

Nic

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions, they have all been helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.