Medication overuse headache - advice pls ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After 4 months of headaches every day.. I've decided to bite the bullet and stop taking pain relief. I am only two days in and think it's going to be a struggle.

Has anyone done this ? Have you any advise ?

thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yeah I've had to do this a couple of times. It's not easy, drink lots of water. I have a friend who advised me to do the following, it did help.

When you wake in the morning, put a pinch of salt under your tongue, don't speak, just let it sit there for 5mins. Then wash it down with 8oz of water. Drink 5 glasses of 8oz water throughout the day with a pinch of salt in each.

Takes approx 10 days till your free.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Angie....you know it weirdly does? It reduces the severity of it for me. Give it a try it won't do you any harm unless you have a medical reason not to take too much salt!!!

I do this everyday when i get up and it seems to help !! It definitely got me off painkillers.

• Posted

I also got the Daith piercing Angie 🖒🖒 i also think it makes a difference.

• Posted

Thanks very much for this. . Will certainly give it a try.
    • Posted

Thank you so much I am willing to try anything other that pain pills because it seems lately like everything makes my vertigo worse.

I am dealing with bppv

Vestibular neurinitis

Cervieogonic dizziness

Vestibular migraine

So I am pretty tired if taking medicine that instead of helping it makes things worse.

Again Thank You

• Posted

Yeah I'm with you. I have hemacrania continua, Vestibular migraine,TMJD and locked jaw .

I do the salt and take K2,D3, 400 mg magnesium and B12 spray - everyday. Very limited pain relief, ice packs all around my head.

I keep a water bottle in the fridge and sit with it between my head and the couch, it helps!!

Good luck 😆

• Posted

Thank you. 😃

I have several ice pack in both freezers and ice in zip lock baggies.. They are my life savers. Hope you feel better.

• Posted

You feel better to, we can beat this. Look at "neck hotties" they are water bottles that are shaped like a half circle, cover a lot of area at once!! They're great 😆 you get them on amazon.

Be well 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.