Medication query

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with SVT and was given betablockers ( Bisoprolol) to take regularly. However I found the side effects so bad that my doctor suggested I just take them when I felt an episode starting. This happened yesterday but they made me feel worse than the SVT itself. My doctor had said other drugs were an option and preferred to go down this route before considering an ablation. I wondered if other people had reacted badly to Bisoprolol and had more success with any other drugs?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Before my ablation I was prescribed Propanalol  80mgs which I also took when I had an episode.  The only side effect was feeling tired but they took a long time to work, around 90 mins!  I recommend an ablation as soon as possible - don't know why your doctor is stalling.

• Posted

Oh boy....Bisoprolol,  nightmare!!!

I started taking it Feb 2016  until May 2016.   While I was on it, I could not get off the sofa.  Absolutely no energy. My hands and feet were like ice, and my heart rate and blood pressure went really low.  When I had to stop it for my unsuccessful ablation, the doctor said it was okay to just stop it 5 days before procedure.   OMG, it is not okay.  I went through terrible withdrawals.  Anxiety through the roof.

I did not go back on it.  I would rather have SVT than feel like that.

• Posted

hi Karen I had SVT all my life I'm 54 years old and in 2016 April 5th of 2016 I didn't know that I had pneumonia but the pneumonia activated an episode of SVT that lasted 5 6 hours and was very dangerous I went into the hospital and they right away suggested and ablation and I was petrified but it's the best thing I ever did for myself and I've been fine for 2 years my heart still makes an extra beat or thumps or something but that's because I'm still a very heavy smoker but I suggest the ablation ASAP you'll never have a regret

• Posted

Sorry Karen I use voice typing and it makes some mistakes that's meant to say 5 or 6 hours not 56 hours LOL I'm sure after 56 hours of SVT I would have been dead LOL

• Posted

I have been on metatroprorol for over a year and at first my blood pressure would go too low for my liking so my doctor lowered my dose and I’ve been fine ever since. Talk to your doctor about this! 
  • Posted

I was put on bisoprolol 1:25mg in February for a bad attack of svt, it made me feel terrible, low blood pressure, low heartbeat, dizzy tired, pressure in my chest and head and then I become depressed, 5 days ago I decided to come off cold turkey so I can enjoy Christmas with my family, so far I feel ok but it’s early days yet.  I will have to see the doctor after the new year.
  • Posted

I'm on 50 mg metoprolol for almost 2 years. Only 1 svt since i started my meds. Some meds are better than others. Try another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.