medication question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have MAV and the ENT has given me nortriptyline 25mg and I wanted to start it tonight. I've been putting it off because I'm scared of the side effects. My first question is has any anyone taken Amitriptyline and had to switch to nortriptyline because of side effects? Second I'm thinking I'm going to cut them into quarters and start really low, has anyone done this? With nort what side effects did you have?

Thank you for your help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patty....everyone reacts different to meds....Yes I took nortripyline...started with 10 went to 30  ........it didnt do anything for me.....helped very little.......i didn't get any side effects.......came off of it after a month

• Posted

I have taken nortriptyline 10mg for over a year for MAV and silent migraines which has helped me a lot.  Amitriptyline has more side effects than nortriptyline which my consultant said.  I have not had any noticeable side effects and I am quite sensitive to medications.  I was advised to start on 20mgs but i started on 10 mgs and have stayed on this dose which made a big difference.  I am due to come off them soon but found they also help my shoulder pain so i am a bit reluctant.  Hope you get well soon.
    • Posted

Hi Anne

Thank you so much for the positive reply. I have been so reluctant to try this since the bad reaction with Amitriptyline. But with this constant anxiety since getting MAV and everytime I move to much or use my head in certain ways I get this feeling like I'm sitting on a raft floating all over. It's not only in my head but through my entire body. Did you feel it through your body?

How did the med help you? Thanks for your help

• Posted

I was so bad as have BPPV and MAV.  I went to bed one night fine and woke the next morning with everything spinning and fell to the floor.  It went on for ages until I thought I had something like MS.  I  was stumbling about like the drunken sailor whilst trying to carry on working.  In the end I had to take a month off work until I could drive my car safely.  My legs were all wobbly, I felt spaced out.  It affects every aspect of your life.  i though I would have to leave work but a year later after being on Nortriptyline and not eating (much) cheese and chocolate I am now at least 80% recovered from the MAV but still get bouts of BPPV.  The consultant said don't let your GP try and put you on amitriptyline as it has more side effects.  My GP did try as it is much cheaper but when i explained I could not tolerate any side effects and do my job he left me on the nortriptyline. I no longer have the spaced out or my vision affected, feeling as though I can't focus my eyes properly, or the shakiness throughout my body or not being able to walk in a straight line.  I can't remember all the things that affected me but supermarkets spaced me out and I felt so wobbly due to the lighting i think and having to keep turning into another isle and looking up and down at shelves.

Hope this helpssmile

• Posted

P.S.  the only side effect i did notice when i started nortrityline was a dry mouth but this wore off after a couple of weeks. A friend at work said she was put on amitrityline for migraines  and had to come off it as the side effects were so bad. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.