Medication vs Surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone discussed with their Neurologist the benefit of having surgery rather then staying on medication for years?  There is research that suggests waiting for surgery decreases success because the mylen on the Trigeminal nerve gets damaged beyond repair with the repetitive damage. 

4 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shelly

I had a balloon compresion 3 years  

I have been free from pain since

Its worth a go 

Regards PTricia

• Posted

Dear Shelly,

I also had Balloon Compression almost 2 years ago and am pain-free.  I did a lot of research and heard the same suggestions you give about about having surgery early.  I had an MVD the first year but it did not take.  However it works for over 90 % of people. I waited two years and then had Balloon Compression which did work.  I am happy with it especially knowing it is an easy surgery and can be repeated.

• Posted

Hi Shelley,

I have been reading an article from May2014 which is very good . It is a bit long but worth the read. In part it discusses the reasons for using surgery over medications or vice/versa. you can Google in onMedscape article 248933. I had the GKS surgery they mention and it took 6 months to work but at the moment I am pain free

• Posted

I made an appointment to see a neurosurgeon first and by the time It was due I was in remission. That was 10 Months ago. However ,just Been 
  • Posted

no, no do not do the surgery

i've done that not once even twice, few years ago 

i've never ever forgot that, the pain that i have that , was not that have it was ok, mine even , it was not TN, he has got wrong diagnose, and done the neuro-surgery, right now i live in hell.

it is long story. Do not do the srgery for this type of pain                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

• Posted

Hi so what was your diagnosis and what type of pain are you having
  • Posted

If your pain is totally unbearable, I suggest surgery ASAP. I waited only because nobody could diagnose me with TN. I diagnosed myself. My "unbearable pain"

gets me to where I cannot eat, drink, touch lower lip or swallow. Once I can't swallow, then I can no longer take meds & surgery is definitely needed.

The longer you live with the pain, the worse the nerve gets. Discuss best surgery options with a good neurosurgeon.

• Posted

I think everyone is different so surgery for most folks (borne out through evidence) is going to relieve the pain. It's unfortunate that some folks do not respond to an MVD but overwhelmingly, the surgery is a good thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.