medications and herbs

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am pre-diabetic, i dont like to take medications, is there a suggestion on what herbs will lower my glucose/sugar

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes!! I look after my mother. I've found diet, herbs and supplements to be wonderful for treating her diabetes and was able to wean her completely off meds!

I've found berberine to be extremely effective. The capsules work, but I prefer to buy the dried herb from a Chinese herb store. It's pretty easy. I just put about a quarter cup of the dried herbs in a quart jar and fill with water. I store it in the refrigerator and she takes two teaspoons with meals.

The herbs last a long time in the refrigerator, so I keep refilling the jar with new water until the potency is too low- you can tell by the color when the herbs are ready to throw out.

As the mixture gets older, it isn't quite as strong, so I increase the dose.

The berberine will actually help lower your blood sugar long term.

White kidney bean extract capsules help if you need something because you want to have pancakes or something. More of a one off thing. I haven't used it regularly.

Eating lots of leafy greens and taking good quality multiminerals and vitamins help. Minerals are super important, especially zinc, magnesium, chromium, and boron.

Her diet is strict gluten free, mostly organic, very little processed foods. Sugars are limited to natural sugars (fruits) as much as possible. I use honey to sweeten things. I sneak in as much animal protein as possible and she eats eggs for breakfast, though its difficult to get enough protein, because in her advanced age, she has difficulty eating. To supplement her protein, I give her essential amino acids.

• Posted

Well, the most used drug for diabetes, metformin, is an herb, from a French lilac or something.

The #1 thing to do about pre-diabetes is to learn to count carbs and control your diet, just in very reasonable ways. Maybe the "herb" you need is lettuce, that you eat instead of french fries, and you're halfway home!

The #2 thing to do about pre-diabetes is to make sure you're getting some mild exercise every day. Walk a mile or two, two or three times per day. Almost certain to take your numbers down 10-15 points.

So you still want more herbs? The best herb I've found so far is cinnamon! And if you're going to make a habit of it, it needs to be Ceylon cinnamon. You can Google as to what and why. But just sprinkle some in your coffee, on apple slices, on some rice pudding, whatever. Twice a day seems good.

Next best herb is green tea! One or two cups a day. Actually even black tea helps a little, and I've found some chai spiced teas sometimes seem to help more.

Last thing, but perhaps the trickiest: figs. I found by accident I could have a few Fig Newton style cookies, and not only did they not raise my BG, they actually seemed to lower it! A little Googling and sure enough, this is a known thing, there's some ingredient in figs. BUT I think maybe - maybe - you don't want to overdo this one.

Finally look into - licorice! Now too much licorice is a known bad thing, but they have the de-deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) that may help, too and is safer to use. Again, you can find much more info online. I found a cup of a tea containing regular licorice, a few times a week, was helpful, but I'm worried about the OD. And I can't find a local store anymore selling the DGL capsules I liked, and I don't want the chewables.

So, hope that helps!

In summary: diet, exercise, a little cinnamon and green tea, and you should be fine.

• Posted

i bought Garcinia with 65% hydroxycitric acid, i will buy the cinnamon and green tea, is there a specific green tea?

• Posted

One more note, and this is my current self-experimentation topic: dietary fats.

The general advice for a diabetic (or non-diabetic!) diet is, low fat.

And, fat is implicated in insulin resistance, which is a large part of any pre-diabetic or type2 diabetic case.

But what I had not heard is that a high-fat meal could raise your BG reading immediately. And that might actually be the case.

Also that there are fats, and fats. Omega-3, -6, and -9, of course. But also saturated and mono-unsaturated (poly-unsaturated is now considered hazardous, and trans-fats are absolutely horrible). Some saturated fats, like those in red meat, are apparently the worst, increasing insulin resistance immediately and giving you a high BG reading. And I just read something that mono-unsaturated, like those in avocados, olives, and nuts (are these all -9s?), actually reduce insulin resistance. I've been eating a lot of avocado and nuts since being diagnosed, but only for vague beneficial reasons. If it turns out they are actively and immediately helpful, well then!

• Posted

AFAIK any green tea is fine, you can also get the green tea extract capsules but I've never tried them.

• Posted

BTW, these things help immediately, or at least within a couple of hours, this is not something you have to take for a month and then guess what's happening.

• Posted

i take crestor at night and i check my blood sugar levels in the morning and its alwasy 177 and up why? is it the medication?

• Posted

Crestor ...

Well, blood sugar effects are a listed possible side-effect of Crestor and statins, and usually they say, "discuss with doctor".

I've seen blood sugar effects from blood pressure drugs, diuretics and beta blockers.

Sometimes the various other herbs and nutritionals can offset these, and reducing carb intake can help, too, just as it helps the basic condition.

• Posted

My opinion and experience (I am also not a fan of being on meds), don't worry about herbs. Here are the two natural habits that can have a huge impact on TYPE 2's.

1. LOW CARB DIET - protein and fat is fine*. By low carb I mean 50-75 carbs per day. So, not keto, but pretty low carb. Also keep the total calories in check. 2000 per day maximum. Less if you are smaller frame or lighter. I assume you are a man with the name David.

2. EXERCISE - Diet matters more than exercise but exercise can have a big impact when combined with the diet above. My * above assumes you are exercising vigorously 4-5x/week. Both strength training and aerobic training matter and have different mechanisms of action on BG.

In January 2018 I weighed 275 and had an A1C of 7.9. After exhaustive study I made the above changes. Since then I have not had an A1C over 5.2. And I lost about 60 LBS.

One very good reference - there are many - is "The Diabetes Code" by Jason Fung. I read this only recently and it did not factor into my plan last year. However, his additional recommendation of intermittent fasting is something I have tried and it works.

I hope you find this helpful.

• Posted

I have to agree with the exercise and low carb diet. for sure. Also, gluten free diet is helpful.

For my mother, we didn"t just do herbs. It was a combination. Diabetes is an extremely expensive and cruel condition. For an elderly person,, diabetes requires a skilled nursing facility rather than assisted living. this doubles the cost of living from $4,000/ month to $8,000. plus the cost of the diabetes drugs, which is another $1,000, even with really good insurance! At this rate, spending money on proper food and herbs , acupuncture and other alternatives that result in recovery from disease becomes an extremely good investment.

Whatever discomfort or momentary deprivation you might feel by avoiding certain foods is more than made up for by higher functionality, and quality of life. I find there is a perception that eating sweets is a quality of life issue. With older people, especially, the attitude is, 'let them eat cake, they don't have much time anyway.' Well, by avoiding all the unhealthy food, you certainly have a far better quality of life.

• Posted

Your comment on eating and quality of life is a good one. A drastic diet change can be intimidating. And there is an adjustment period. However, the overall health improvement - not just diabetic related - can be significant. In my case, for example, my blood pressure is now normal and no more blood pressure meds.

Also, as you said, the earlier the change the better. T2 is progressive. The earlier corrections are made, the better long term outlook

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.