Medications (NSAIDs), Urinary Retention and Self Catherization

Posted , 5 users are following.

You can read more about my background in some of the Self Catherization (CIC) threads, but briefly I was put on a program of CIC a few years back for urinary retention due to obstruction from an enlarged prostate. During this period my bladder regained some of its elasticity to the point that I was able to almost stop CIC altogether. 

A couple of weeks ago I was put on the NSAID, Motrin, for rib cage probaby caused by a muscle or cartilage issue. Several days after starting Motrin I found it increasingly more difficult to go to the bathroom and finally gave in and performed CIC for the first time in probabably 4-5 months. Out came 800cc which compares to my previous retention of usually around 150 cc or less, and never lately more than 400cc. 

Fortunately, I had the skills and equiptment necessary for CIC, so no big deal and no trip to the doctor or  hospital was necessary. 

Just wanted to share my experience and give everyone a heads up not to overlook any medications they may be taking as a contributing cause to either chronic retention or even acute retention whidh is what happened to me where I was totally unable to pass urine without CIC. 

As soon as I put two and two together, I stopped the Motrin as the rib pain wasn't all that great anyway. However, during this time my bladder seemed to get stretched out a bit so decided to give it a rest and have resumed CIC maybe once a day or so. 

I thought I might have to have another "break in period" after stopping CIC for so long, but it was just like riding a bicycle so zero pain or trauma. 

Jim

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well that's interesting indeed. So no question that NSAIDS contribute to retention then?  And yet I have been on Sulfasalazine (brand name Salazapyrin) for about 15 years or more for moderate colitis. Ok, I do have retention which I deal with by CICing twice a night, and occasionally at other times, but whether the two are connected in my case, I just don't know.  I do believe Sulfasalzine is classed as an NSAID.
    • Posted

Medscape Medical News: NSAIDs increase risk of acute urinary retentionJuly 13, 2005

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.