medications questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

I I am taking 12 different types of medication for my thyroid, my shingles,my arthritas  sometimes it scares me when so many of the medications say dont take this with this.  when I question it with the chemists they say   well your doctor said you can  what do you do? am I the only one who finds this problem

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear jocelyne44618,

Yes I have had same concerns. I take 17 meds plus several supplements. I enter all into site such as Web MD, and other sites with same services and I get worried when I see severe reactions but I take these several times a day but never have any reaction except the problem the med was prescribed for seems to be better??? A chemist is no Dr, nor a pharmacist. If you build a good relationship with your pharmacist as I have done this is a very valuable source for drug information as I need to consult before I take anything and He has saved my life on more than one occasion as I had a severe cold/flu one night and I had nite quill to take b4 bed but my Dr's office was closed so I called him as I have known him for 20 yrs  and he has a PHD in Pharmaceuticals so if any one would know interactions he would. Take nite quill with Wellbutrin SR could have been fatal if taken!!  However it only had a severe reaction noted on the sites I visit for  drug info.

My Pharmacist told me Web MD and site like this have in general info on drug interactions and a well educated Pharmacist knows to que in active or added ingredient to know for SURE what can be taken and what can not be taken. THat why they make the big bucks .Oh he also said they have better software to use for interactions than offered to us through Internet sites. Its like they subscribe to the yearly PDR online version of this reference book.

Hope this helps your friend in pain,

BUG   

• Posted

In the uk   in my area  East Anglia, I always go to the same pharmacist I understand they record what medication given out to their customers. Each month my medication is made up from my scripts given  from my doctors, they then put most of my meds into medical packs , a lot of people living in my village have these packs made up be like me I have   arthritas  and find opening the packs up difficult and they are put into the correct sessions  like  breakfast, late morning  lunch time, late afternoon, evening.. We are also very lucky because im over 60  I dont pay for medications,  under 60  have to pay for the scripts is £8.20  per item - lets say I could not afford to pay for my meds.

My only wish is that I could lose  this PHN

• Posted

Hello Jocelyne

If you are not comfortable or at any time feel out of sorts with your meds don't hesitate to go and discuss with your doc.  Try not to take anything you feel you no longer need,  if your pain is variable adjust your pain meds to suit, don't just take as a regular dose,  maybe drop  a dose now and then to see how you manage,  a lot of meds are addictive and you just go on needing more and more - withdrawal is always difficult.

Wishing you all the best

Jessie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.